Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maimai8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 03:04 AM
    HIPAA violation?
    Please tell me if this is HIPAA violation:

a) A nurse looking into other nurses patient charting in the computer even though he has nothing to do with the patient

b) A nurse keeping all his past patients in his "Patients List" in the computer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2012, 05:52 AM
    a) Yes

b) probably not.

A nurse can only access patient records that they have been assigned. Accessing other patient's is a clear and serious violation. But keeping a list of patient's the nurse has been assigned to doesn't violate anything.
    maddy6 Posts: 108, Reputation: 12

Aug 4, 2012, 06:01 AM
    You can call the Office of Civil Rights. They will return your call after leaving a message. They can answer all your concerns and are knowledgeable in every area of the HIPAA law. They will tell you the specific section of the law if in fact there is an infraction. You can go to the entity you realize is in violation of the law to communicate and inform them of the infraction of your HIPAA rights. If they ignore you, your recourse is to file a complaint with the OCR. They will look into it and a fine of up to I think (?) $25,000 can be assessed.
    Good luck. HIPAA is not something many people really understand I have discovered. But we as consumers do have rights and the OCR is there to protect those rights.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Are these test questions? They sound eerily similar to my yearly hypothetical HIPAA retraining scenarios.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 6, 2012, 01:18 PM
    1. Yes unless they were told to do this and/or unless they have a reason to do this.

2. no it is not giving out the info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation [ 12 Answers ]

I took a drug test at work but opted to quit prior to the results,few days later a fellow employee told me the operation manager disclosed my results,I work for an ambulance company,If this information gets out I can never work in the field again,, I just don't know how to handle this any ideas?

Is this a hipaa violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I worked in hospital in the business office. That's the office which sends the claims to your insurance company to be paid. I accessed a co-workers account to get her phone number to call her back after a call she made to the office was disconnected only to call her back. I did not give her phone...

HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am active duty military and we are always told that we are protected by HIPAA. The other day I found out my medical provider told a joke about me to other medical staff regarding one of my diagnosed medical conditions. Is this considered a HIPAA violation?

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search