Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa perez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
    Adult child abusive in my home and not on the lease and won't leave
    My 22 yearold is verbally abusive to me and in front of my 5 yearold son.he's not on the lease and he won't stop or leave.what are my options
    maddy6 Posts: 108, Reputation: 12

Aug 3, 2012, 08:38 PM
    What state are you in?
    fairytail Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Aug 3, 2012, 08:41 PM
    It's a very tought situation... I am the youngest child in my home and I have witnessed a similar thing when I was 10 or 11 years... and I don't know about the solution but one thing I can say from my experience is that if your older son is physically or verbally abusive to your five old child then it is going to affect him in worst ways.. even if he is just a spectator its not good in any way... he will just grow up to hate him in every aspect as well as not feel any attachment towards family bonding or family love... please seek some help and get the situation in control... I hope for the best for you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
    You give him notice to vacate and follow-up that up with going to court for an eviction order.

Check your local laws for the eviction process
    lisa perez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You give him notice to vacate and followup that up with going to court for an eviction order.

Check your local laws for the eviction process
    We live in South Carolina... police have been here once.. he's not abusing younger son persay even though the verbal abuse in front of my youngest is not healthy. I cannot take much more.the jealousy from my oldest to the know it all syndrome to the plain out disregard for all I did for him at a young age to keep him safe.. I don't get it.. I just want his disrespectful the world owes me everything behind out of here.
    allicat1994 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Aug 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
    If he isn't on the lease you should be able to have him taken of the property. Is he living there or just visiting? My parents own several rental properties so I know a little about it.

Aug 4, 2012, 05:10 AM
    I do not know South Carolina law, but in the state I am in, you have to give an eviction notice first. Good online and read the rules to evict and follow them. You can also go to the courthouse to get information. They will tell you exactly what to do there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by allicat1994 View Post
    If he isnt on the lease you should be able to have him taken of the property. Is he living there or just visiting? My parents own several rental properties so i know a little about it.
    Define "taken of the property". Unless there is physical abuse, I doubt if he can just be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa perez View Post
    We live in south carolina...police have been here once..he's not abusing younger son persay even though the verbal abuse in front of my youngest is not healthy. I cannot take much more.the jealousy from my oldest to the know it all syndrome to the plain out disregard for all I did for him at a young age to keep him safe..I don't get it..I just want his disrespectful the world owes me everything behind out of here.
    SC law says you have to give him 30 days written notice to vacate. If he still refuses to leave, then you have to go to court for an eviction order.
    http://www.evictionresources.com/eviction_process_articles/south_carolina_eviction_process.html

Aug 4, 2012, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Define "taken of the property". Unless there is physical abuse, I doubt if he can just be reSC law says you have to give him 30 days written notice to vacate. If he still refuses to leave, then you have to go to court for an eviction order.
    http://www.evictionresources.com/eviction_process_articles/south_carolina_eviction_process.html
    If so, then it is the same as my state. You must give him the notice. Go online for the rules about "exactly" what it is required to state in the letter. You type it, you are not required to spend any money in a court at this point.

I recommend to send it certified mail. Also in our state you are required to post it on the door, or in your case, you could post it on the inside of his bedroom door.

We did this with a young adult child we did not really want to evict. We just wanted certain behaviors to change, or we had no choice but to evict. This got their attention BIG TIME. There was immediate change. Had there not been change we would have then filed the notice with the court and it was going to cost about $80 I think.

Something else we did was after posting the eviction, we sat down and discussed behavior. We all signed a written contract with step by step guidelines on which behaviors needed correcting and the intended outcome if they were not. This way there was no question later. It was all in writing and we could all look back at it.

We loved our child and didn't want to evict. But WE had to be in control of our own house. So I understand what you are going through. Good luck and I hope my situation can give you guidance for perhaps how you might best handle yours.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy6 View Post
    I recommend to send it certified mail. Also in our state you are required to post it on the door, or in your case, you could post it on the inside of his bedroom door.
    I don't know if that works in your state, but it doesn't appear to be sufficient in South Carolina:

"EJECTMENT OF TENANTS

SECTION 27-37-10. Grounds for ejectment of tenant.

(A) The tenant may be ejected upon application of the landlord or his agent when (1) the tenant fails or refuses to pay the rent when due or when demanded, (2) the term of tenancy or occupancy has ended, or (3) the terms or conditions of the lease have been violated.

(B) For residential rental agreements, nonpayment of rent within five days of the date due constitutes legal notice to the tenant that the landlord has the right to begin ejectment proceedings under this chapter if a written rental agreement specifies in bold conspicuous type that nonpayment of rent constitutes such notice. This requirement is satisfied if the written rental agreement contains the notice specified in Section 27-40-710(B).

SECTION 27-37-20. Ejectment proceedings.

Any tenant may be ejected in the following manner, to wit: Upon application by the landlord or his agent or attorney any magistrate having jurisdiction shall issue a written rule requiring the tenant forthwith to vacate the premises occupied by him or to show cause why he should not be ejected before the magistrate within ten days after service of a copy of such rule upon the tenant.

SECTION 27-37-30. Service of rule; posting and mailing requirements.

(A) The copy of the rule provided for in Section 27-37-20 may be served in the same manner as is provided by law for the service of the summons in actions pending in the court of common pleas or magistrates courts of this State. The methods of service described in subsections (B) and (C) may be used as alternatives to the method of service described in this subsection.

(B) When no person can be found in possession of the premises, and the premises have remained abandoned, as defined in Section 27-40-730 for residential rental agreements and in Section 27-35-150 for nonresidential rental agreements, for a period of fifteen days or more immediately before the date of service, the copy of the rule may be served by leaving it affixed to the most conspicuous part of the premises.
    ..." CHAPTER 37 - EJECTMENT OF TENANTS - South Carolina Statutes

Granted, the quoted statute pertains to service of process after a landlord has gone to court, but it's probably similar.

It is best to simply hand deliver a notice to quit to the "tenant". That way there can be no question that he received it.

Here is the pertinent language in the case of a month to month "tenancy at will":

"SECTION 27-40-770. Periodic tenancy; holdover remedies.

(a) The landlord or the tenant may terminate a week-to-week tenancy by a written notice given to the other at least seven days before the termination date specified in the notice.

(b) The landlord or the tenant may terminate a month-to-month tenancy by a written notice given to the other at least thirty days before the termination date specified in the notice.

(c) If the tenant remains in possession without the landlord's consent after expiration of the term of the rental agreement or its termination, the landlord may bring an action for possession. If the holdover is not in good faith, the landlord may recover reasonable attorney's fees. If the tenant's holdover is a wilful violation of the provisions of this chapter or the rental agreement, the landlord may also recover an amount not more than three months periodic rent or twice the actual damages sustained by him, whichever is greater and reasonable attorney's fees. If the landlord consents to the tenant's continued occupancy, Section 27-40-310(d) applies.
    ..."

Unlike others on this forum, however, I am not of the opinion that an unwanted guest must be brought to court to get him evicted. In South Carolina, particularly, the definition of the term "tenant" does not include such a person:

"SECTION 27-40-210. General definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent articles of this chapter which apply to specific articles or parts of this chapter, and unless the context otherwise requires, in this chapter:

(15) "tenant" means a person entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others;
    ..."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with an abusive adult child [ 3 Answers ]

In the past year my daughter has become more and more abusive. I gave her everything whilst at the same time trying to instill values in her. She now tells me to f-off and that I am F-ed... etc. For the last 10 years I have been working as a teacher and always do my best to support her. She has...

Abusive adult child [ 7 Answers ]

I am a mother of two children. Son is 25, daughter is 23. My son recently has become very violent and abusive to me and my husband. He has been abusive to his past girlfriend. They both were to each other. We allowed my son to move in after getting in trouble with law for his violence. He lost his...

Dealing with an abusive adult child [ 58 Answers ]

My daughter is 20 yrs old. I was divorced from her mother for 3 years. I'm recently re-married. My daughter is very manipulative and has caused major damage towards my wife and new family. She wants me to leave my wife so that she can control me the way her mother did for 20 years in a very abusive...

Adult Child Refusing to leave home [ 5 Answers ]

I have a daughter "23" and my grandson "6" that will not leave home. She lives with me rent free and refuses to help me with keeping the house clean and stop being so disrespectfull. I am at my wits end, I love her and want her to only grow up and be adult enough to pick up after herself and my...

View more questions Search