Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaserracer83 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Third Normal Formation, Problem
    Hello,

I am trying to make a database in third normal formation. For the most part I understand 3NF, but have a question about how to setup a certain find of relationship in 3NF...

I have a transaction table. Within this table it keeps track of the purchaser and the receiver of the item in the transaction. The purchaser can be the recevier or they could be different people.

I feel like creating two separate tables (one for purchaser and one for receiver) is not correct. I was thinking the correct way would be to have one customer table, but I am not sure.

I am creating the database within Microsoft Access and it only allows me to create one link between two tables... does anyone know the correct way to set this up?

Thank you,
    Chase
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2012, 03:44 PM
    You are correct you should have one Customer table. Your transaction table should have foreign keys for PurchaserID and ReceiverID. The way you create these relationships is with an alias. In the Relationships Window you add the Customers table twice. You then link from CustomerID to the two above IDs. In a query you do the same thing, add the customers table twice.
    chaserracer83 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You are correct you should have one Customer table. Your transaction table should have foreign keys for PurchaserID and ReceiverID. The way you create these relationships is with an alias. In the Relationships Window you add the Customers table twice. You then link from CustomerID to the two above IDs. In a query you do the same thing, add the customers table twice.
    That makes sense. The fact I couldn't make the link in Access made me question myself. Adding the table twice worked perfectly. Thank you for your help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Welcome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formation of ester [ 2 Answers ]

How do you form 2-propyl cyclopentylmethanoate and 2-butyl hexanoate? Which alcohol and acid is require to produce the ester? Thanks. Your input is appreciated.

Dyrham formation [ 1 Answers ]

What type of rock is the Dyrham formation and which geological basin can it be found in ?

Ice formation [ 3 Answers ]

Why does tap water freeze more rapidly than cold water?

View more questions Search