Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bzitser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Electrical specification.
    Can 20 Amp. Ciruit Breaker Support 1 Hp 115 Volt Single Phase Motor?
    Robair Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Yes It can... However, The breaker is overrated for the application.
    So look at the specs on the motor carefully... But by and large you should have a 15Amp breaker.
    It's suppose to trip when under heavy load to protect you. If you use a 20 A unit... the motor and wires can overheat and created unspeakable damage.
    Get a 15Amp breaker.
    Good luck;)
    bzitser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Bzitser
    Quote Originally Posted by bzitser
    Can 20 Amp. Ciruit Breaker Support 1 Hp 115 Volt Single Phase Motor?
    Thank's Robair for your respond, but to my knowledge I have to size single phaze breaker minimum 20% above that total amperage draw by motor and 1HP whisperflo swimming pool pump(what I want to install) has full load 14,8 amps.
    If I am right, my qwestion still stay .Please respond.
    Sinserely yours
    bzitser.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Almost correct, a 1 HP motor 1 Phase motor branch circuit and short circuit protection needs to be rated 125% of the value listed in NEC Table 430.148, which for 115 volts is 16 amps, so minimum size rating of a breaker is 20 amps.

An inverse time circuit breaker can be sized up to 250 % of the rating in Table 430.148, depending on several other factors that may not apply, since this is only a water pump.

Overload protection, if needed, will only use the nameplate rating of 14.8 amps, and again may or may not be required depending on other factors.
    ColGrayBeard Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Yes.

A 1 HP motor draws about 13A at 120VAC. You should make sure that your wiring will support this load as well. Although # 14 would support 13A, the start-up current will be higher than 13A. You should wire to the motor with # 12 wire.
    ColGrayBeard Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Yes.

A 1 HP motor draws about 13A at 120VAC. A 20A branch circuit breaker would be appropriate. You should make sure that your wiring will support this load as well. Although # 14 would support 13A, the start-up current will be higher than 13A. You should wire to the motor with # 12 wire.

I just saw the information about the 14.7A nameplate rating. The same answer applies with the slightly higher rating.

Based on my experience, using a 15A circuit breaker will result in a significant number of nuisance trips. The motor should have internal thermal protection to protect from overloads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical [ 3 Answers ]

1. What determines the ampacity of a wire? 2. what is the maximum spacing between supports for rigid nonmetallic conduit trade size of a. 1 inch b. 2 inch ? 3.what is the difference between type AC and type ACT atmored cables?

Electrical [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GFI that will not reset ,

Electrical [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use three #8 thhn wires in 1/2" pvc conduit about 25' to an electric stove

Software requirement specification [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one help me in doing my project which involves a registration module and my sir is behind me to complete it in I hardly know any thing about programmin . So can someone please please please... Help me.:(

View more questions Search