Jeree Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeree
    What causes teenage depression?
    What causes teenage depression?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Teenage Depression can be caused by a variety of factors - not always just one of them, but often a combination of factors. Here is a listing:

What triggers depression in teenagers?
    The reasons for depression can vary from adolescent to adolescent. Often, depression results from a confluence of factors:

Significant events such as the death of a loved one, parents' divorce, moving to a new area, or breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend can prompt symptoms.

Adolescent depression can occur from neglect, prolonged absence from someone who is a source of care and nurturance, abuse and bullying, damage to self-esteem, or too many life changes occurring too quickly. In some teenagers, any major change may provoke depression.

Earlier traumatic experiences such as abuse or incest often emerge and cause great distress as the child becomes a teen. This is because as a young child the victim did not have the life experience or language to process these painful experiences, or to protest. When such memories emerge in adolescence, the distress can be compounded if adults deny or discount the information.

Stress, especially if the adolescent lacks emotional support.

Hormonal/physical changes that occur during puberty also cause new and unexpected emotions. Moodiness and melancholy are often experienced and labeled as depression.
    Medical conditions such as hypothyroidism can affect hormone balance and mood. Chronic physical illness also can cause depression. When a medical condition is diagnosed and treated by a doctor, the depression usually disappears.

Substance abuse can cause changes in brain chemistry.

Allergies to foods such as wheat, sugar, and milk cause or exacerbate symptoms of depression.

Nutritional deficiencies may be caused by an amino acid imbalance or vitamin deficiency.

Genetics can predispose a teen to depression when the illness runs in the family.

A couple of sites ( and there are many) include:

Teen Depression: Signs, Symptoms, and Getting Help for Teenagers

Teen Depression: Warning Signs, Information, Getting Help

depression in adolescents teens

You can also get information/referrals/support from your local Mental Health Association. Every state has one and many have toll free numbers, listed in your phone book. Your doctor can be a great asset - in diagnosis, treatment, and referral, as well as directing you to support groups.

Wishing you all the best.
    Ghostgal Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 01:21 AM
    Woah person above me you could be like a shrink or something

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mental health (dreams) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend has a problem with dreams. I want to help him. For now all I need to know is what exactly dreaming with water or floating on waters means? This is a constant dream, actually a nightmare. He has also dream with fire, him burning in fire. And other times, him floating on air. ...

I need serious mental health [ 10 Answers ]

Before I get started I just want to say I'm not a pervert or sick in the head, I'm 20 and I'm starting to have feelings for a 13 year old, I'm just wondering how much pychiatric help I need because this shouln't be happening because it is very wrong Thanks

Mental and Emotional Health [ 3 Answers ]

We have just found out that my sister is suffering from this problem. She is 43 years old and a divorcée. This is causing a lot of emotional and mental problem at home. We have to be alert all the time. Our family members have stopped visiting us as they are scared she would steal their stuff...

Mental and emotional health during pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in my 9th week of pregnancy.As a child I used to Dream a lot... but since last few years I 've been Talking to myself in the day time or you can say anytime Rather than sleep... I feel it's a kind of say role Playing stuff. I'll think about some discussion going On & talk as all the...

View more questions Search