Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    endjy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 10:13 PM
    Economists, help please!
    Finn has the following utility function:
    U=√C*L
    where C represents real consumption spending and L hours of leisure time consumed daily (i.e. T = 24). As a result, his first-order condition for utility maximization can be written as a simple ratio of the arguments in his utility function:
    MRS=C/L
    a) Show that Finn’s indifference curves will be convex to the origin (e.g. choose U = 10 and show that the resulting indifference curve is convex). Under what conditions will this result in a unique equilibrium? (HINT: a graph will definitely help here.)

b) Suppose Finn has $96 of nonlabour income each day (he comes from a wealthy family) and faces the minimum wage of $12 per hour. Set the price of consumption (P) equal to one, and do the following:
    (I) Write down Finn’s budget constraint. Show his first-order condition for utility maximization.

(ii) Compute Finn’s optimal daily consumption of leisure (L*), hours of work (H*) and consumption of goods and services (C*).

(iii) Derive Finn’s labour supply function (i.e. show how his optimal hours of work would vary with the wage rate he faces in the labour market). Compute Finn’s reservation wage. (Hint: Repeat the steps from part (ii), but keep the wage rate as a variable).

(iv) Sketch out Finn’s labour supply curve. What can you conclude about the relationship between his substitution and income effects as the wage increases?

Check out some similar questions!

Economists vs policy maker [ 0 Answers ]

Economists need to understand some ethics to appreciate the objectives of policy maker- please comment on that.

Pandering to economists [ 3 Answers ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/business/13view.html?ref=business What do you think, especially the economists out there? Which ones do you agree with? Which ones not? And why?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.