Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texoma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Harbor Breeze Fan Light Switch
    Switch was bad but when replaced now the circuit break kicks. Put the new switch on another fan and it does the same thing there. Bought another new switch and it kicks breaker on both fans as well. These are two wire switches so no room for being wired wrong. Need help in determining if switches can be wrong type for light kit and could be cause of circuit breaker kicking.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
    What switch are you talking about? The pullchain or the wall switch? Either way, if it is tripping the breaker you are wiring it wrong.

A two wire switch is a two wire switch.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
    I agrre with Ceilingfanrepair, you are wiring it incorrectly. I know you said you did it twice but once your brain makes an error it keeps thinking its OK. It is hard to notice your own mistakes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I agree with Ceilingfanrepair, you are wiring it incorrectly. I know you said you did it twice but once your brain makes an error it keeps thinking its OK. It is hard to notice your own mistakes.
    Texoma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Texoma
    Switch was bad but when replaced now the circuit break kicks. Put the new switch on another fan and it does the same thing there. Bought another new switch and it kicks breaker on both fans as well. These are two wire switches so no room for being wired wrong. Need help in determining if switches can be wrong type for light kit and could be cause of circuit breaker kicking.
    The pull chain light switch is the one that I am talking about. I have gone back again and checked. Since it is only two wires, in this case blue and white with designation for light, I see no way to make a mistake. Is it possible that the switch is incompatible as has been suggested? I have never heard of a two wire on/off switch being incompatible if the voltage/amp rating are close as is the case here. The original was 4A/125VAC and the replacement was 6A/125VAC (none available locally or online with the original rating).
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 08:50 PM
    You don't wire it to the blue and white. You wire it between the blue wire and whatever the blue wire is going to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan w/ Light [ 11 Answers ]

Please help! I cannot figure out how to change the burnt out light in my ceiling fan. I have tried turning the glass portion, but it won't budge. Any ideas? I've tried the Harbor Breeze website, but cannot find the manual online. :( Thanks!

Harbor Breeze Fan switch 5-8 wire [ 15 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a Harbor Breeze Fan switch 5-8 wire. My problem is there are red, purple,pink, yellow, brown, white, black wires where do I connect them into the switch? HELP

Harbor Breeze ceiling fan switch [ 7 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan that only operates on high speed. I assume it needs a new switch. I have tried to find a replacement switch without success. The switch has four wires coming out of it (black brown, purple, gray). The brown, purple and gray wires go into a sealed black box about 1 by 2 inches....

Harbor Breeze fan/light with remote [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed a Harbor Breeze fan/light with remote. It is operated by a 3way switch. Each time the switch is turned on, the fan and/or light has to be "manually" turned on with the remote, even though the light was "on" when the switch was turned off. Appears to be no memory in the ...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling fan 4 wire switch [ 1 Answers ]

The pull cord for our fan broke.. when I took the switch apart to replace it.. the four wires (black, grey, brown, and purple) popped out before I could make note of were they were supposed to go... the model number of the fan is... FI52BNK5LK... please help. Thanks a ton

View more questions Search