Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anyu22495 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Career related problem.. Please help!
    Hi. I am a 12th grade student and I took up  medical sciences a year and a half ago at the beginning of 11th grade . I chose the subject because my parents wanted me too and because of my own comfort and love with the subject.I even joined a coaching centre for extra coaching of the  entrance exam as I didn't wanted to leave any stone unturned in the entrance preparation and getting a good college. Everything started well as I was focusing only on my studies but then I met an old  best-friend and I started to lose my focus on studies because of him.Then things didn't work out as they were supposed to be with him because of my strict elder brother and now it's been months  without him and still I cannot  get over him because my such deep love for him and with a broken heart I cannot concentrate back on my goal and career. Knowingly or unknowingly I was fooling my parents all this time and believe me I am guilty for wasting all this time. Presently,I have only 8 months till my school final board exam and immediately thereafter is the entrance exam. And its next to impossible for me to complete my exam syllabus + two year course of entrance exam in these eight months. Moreover, with  the extra coaching its really difficult for me to cope up the ongoing school studies. So I tried to convince my parents to  get me out of the coaching centre so I can lay complete stress on school studies but now they are not agreeing with me on this. I want to score good marks in my high school exam so as to keep other career options open as well but on this too they are opposing and its utmost important to score good grades in 12th here to stand upright in the future. Dad doesn't care if I score or not in school because all he wants is to make me a doctor no matter if he does this by getting me enrolled by bribing but I want to achieve heights on my effort and not dad's money. Will it be a great choice to opt out of the coaching centre at this last time ? How should I convince my parents that I am not that extraordinary to accomplish this dream of their's ? Help me out of this because I have no clear path to walk on. Everything seems hazy.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Aug 2, 2012, 08:40 AM
    This is something you will have to work out for yourself.

It is your life, your career. You have to decide how you want to spend the rest of your life.

If you do not want to do this career and will not be happy you need to find what it is that you would be happy doing.

Going into a career because your parents want you to will not make you happy if it is not what you really want to do.

Sounds like you need to talk to a school counselor and decide what it is you want to do and where your interests and capabilities lie. The school counselor can also help you with talking to your parents or even talk to them for you.

I think this would be a good place to start.
    Anyu22495 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty View Post
    This is something you will have to work out for yourself.

It is your life, your career. You have to decide how you want to spend the rest of your life.

If you do not want to do this career and will not be happy you need to find what it is that you would be happy doing.

Going into a career because your parents want you to will not make you happy if it is not what you really want to do.

Sounds like you need to talk to a school counselor and decide what it is you want to do and where your interests and capabilities lie. The school counselor can also help you with talking to your parents or even talk to them for you.

I think this would be a good place to start.
    No, I know I will enjoy medical field as a career but the thing is I'm readily accepting that I did not put in such effort to achieve a career in the field.
    That's the reason I am thinking to change my consideration.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Aug 2, 2012, 11:58 AM
    I have found it to be the case among my workers that those that really truly were passionate about there careers worked very hard to achieve top honors and promotions, they worked at being the best.

Those employees that were not so passionate about their jobs were the mediocre employees. They could do the job but they did not do it with enthusiasm and they did not go above and beyond.

Perhaps you just need to take a little time off and think about your career for a while.

When you find your true vocation you will have a passion for it that will drive you to do your best and you will do whatever it takes to succeed. Because you have not done so leads me to believe you need to do some soul searching and find what it is that you are really passionate about and go for that career.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career related. [ 1 Answers ]

I am student of eleventh science with comp.science. I am good at comm.fine arts too. So, how could it be more effective in choosing my career. I want some suggestion. *** email deleted to comply with site rules***

View more questions Search