Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Razor_44 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Credit Card Debt
    I have a Citi card with a debt in the $10,000 range. I missed a payment and the interest rate sky rocketed where I could not meet the minimum payment. I had never missed a payment up until that point. Now it is in collections and am just trying to figure out my options. The collections agency is demanding payment in full right now and not interested in a payment plan. They were threatening me with a bunch of stuff. I understand it is a scare tactic, but it bugs me because I am willing to pay, obviously I just can't pay it all at once. A debt consolidation company said they can get it out of collections and they can lower the interest rate and yada, yada, yada so I could go that route, but I am skeptical. I recently purchased a home and was thinking of getting a home equity loan to pay it off, but I am not sure if I can do that so soon after buying. Any advice would be helpful.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Mar 5, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Document everything, including their threats. Unless I'm mistaken, they are not allowed to make untruthful threats. (Saying they will sue you is allowed, saying you will lose your house is not). Also, send an offer to make payments on the debt via certified mail so you have documentation when these clowns decide to step it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When my ex-boyfriend and I split up we had some credit cards together which we split among us and we agreed to take each others name off the cards we each took. Yeah right!! He had started paying it through credit counselling but one day claimed bankruptcy, because my name was still on the...

Old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a old credit card debt made by family members, from maybe 8 to ten years ago. Someone called by family and informed then at a warrant had been issued for my arrest and that I need to contact them.I called and I was going to pay it, the guy scared me by asking only for my bank account...

Credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I had a sheriff show up with papers for me to go to court for a credit card company, owe them money from 7 or 8 years ago of course the finance charges have been building since then. What happens to me if I don't go to court that day? Will I have a warrant out for my arrest?

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home (trailer) and I pay to park it in a trailer park. I am in debt with credit cards... in two weeks I will be laid off work. Can the credit cards take my trailer? This is considered personal property... trailer is paid for. Thanks, Marge

View more questions Search