Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Bella and her Lady
    Our Bella needs support.

She has a beautiful, gentle, kind, rescue dog name Lady. Lady had many issues. Bella worked with her through all of them. Lady and Bella's young daughter "E" are best buds. Lady isn't a pitbull, but she falls under that qualification where narrow minded un-educated people are concerned. Not that it should matter if she is a pitbull. It really shouldn't.

Well, Lady is now re-homed to escape death. Why? Lady chased a cat that came into her yard. Yup, that's right, the cat was on Bella's property. The cat was injured, had to have it's leg amputated (if I'm getting the story right, please Bella, if I'm not, correct me).

Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible for the cat. I know that Bella does too. But the owner of the cat is now demanding that Lady be euthanized. How is that right?

There are dog laws coming out the wazoo! BSL, restrictions, leash laws, you name it. If my dog craps on your yard I could face hundreds in fines. But cats can go anywhere they want, go on to someone else's property, someone that has a dog, and when that dog does what's natural for all dogs to do, which is to chase the cat, the dog has to be killed?

How is that okay? How is that right?

Human beings have to start realizing that animals have just as many rights to be who and what they are, as humans do. If someone chooses to own a cat, then keep that cat safe. Don't allow it to go onto any property it chooses. It's your responsibility as the cats owner! Leash the cat. It's only right! I don't want cats on my property, because my dogs will chase them, and I want my dogs to live!

Dogs chase cats! It's well known! It's not a surprise! If your cat goes onto a property that owns a dog, whose fault is that? Not the dogs, not the cats, but yours! The dog shouldn't die for that! The owner should be fined for that! You should!

Makes me so mad! When did we all agree that cat owners could do whatever they want without consequences? Irresponsible ownership, that's what this is. But Bella and Lady, they're not the irresponsible ones. The cat owner is! :(

So mad. I'm probably rambling, and I'm sure WG could pick this post apart for spelling and grammar errors. I'm just so mad, so upset, in tears, and this isn't right! It's not right!

Please, support Bella and her Ladybug. Lady doesn't deserve to die because a cat owner didn't control her pet!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Had it been my cat, rather than amputate the leg, I would have euthanized the cat. Cats don't belong outdoors (too many dangers).

Anything we can do? -- call, email, write letters?
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Support WG. Bella is a wreck. Lady is her baby, and she just lost Max not that long ago. It seems to be a trend for the both of us, two dogs within months.

So far Lady is alive and well. Bella took her to a friend. But the owner of the cat is demanding that lady be killed. She wants her dead for something that's her fault, not Lady's, and no the cat's.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
    So how does this stand? It's a legal matter? Up to the humane society? What determines if Lady lives or dies? She was just defending her turf.

I wouldn't think the woman would have much clout in getting Lady euthanized. The cat was trespassing, and Lady was not only defending her property (as all good dogs do), but going after an evil stranger.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Aww thank you Alty. I volunteered to pay the vet bills. She just came to my door and told me it's $1100.00 to have the cats leg amputated, plus the $975.00 fine for removing a "dangerous dog" from the scene of an attack. If I didn't get her out she would be put down. I would be responsible for the cost of having her put down which would be roughly $900 as well.

There are no by laws in my county restricting cats to their properties, so you basically this cat can go where he/she pleases and apparently on my property to do it's business.

I'm devastated. I don't know what to say.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Who would put Lady down?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Wg, the AC officer told me lady would be impounded for two Weeks to monitor her behavior, remember bsl? The thing I fight so hard to keep out of deciding the fate of our family pets? Unfortunately lady gals under the dangerous breed category. They have a whole new set of rules.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Falls not gals. Animal control can make the decision to have a dog destroyed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Don't these people have brains?
    Pets Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So how does this stand? It's a legal matter? Up to the humane society? What determines if Lady lives or dies? She was just defending her turf.
    It's a toss up. BSL is a live and well in Canada. Lady is not a pitbull, but she falls into that category.

The cat's leg was amputated because of this incident, even though the cat trespassed on Bella's and Lady's property.

Fact is, if it is a legal matter, I don't have any faith that justice will be served. I don't know if you heard about Lennox, Wicca or Diesel. All dogs judged because of their breed. Lennox was jailed for years, and euthanized, because of how he looked. Two animal behaviorists assessed him and said he wasn't dangerous. Didn't matter, he was still killed.

The family fought for him in court, but the law ruled, and killed Lennox.

Lennox never even growled at anyone and he was killed. Wicca and Diesel are similar stories. Lennox was in Belfast. Wicca and Diesel, they're Canadian. Wicca was killed. Diesel is on death row, 17 months and counting.

Lady did attack a cat. Her fault? No! She's a dog! The cat was in her yard! Dogs are dogs! But will that matter?

After Lennox, Wicca, Diesel, and other dogs I've read about lately, I doubt that it will matter. They'll kill Lady just because she's a dog that looks like a pitbull, and the lady that's actually responsible, should be held accountable, the one with the pet she lets roam wherever it wants, won't even get fined.

That's how the law works right now. If you look like a pitbull, and someone complains, we'll kill you.

Let's hope that people don't start treating other human beings like that. Hmmmm... I don't like chinese, you look chinese. I think we should kill you. (just an example. I'm not that type of person).
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Don't these people have brains?
    The cat and Lady have more brains than these people.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Let's hope that people don't start treating other human beings like that. Hmmmm... I don't like chinese, you look chinese. I think we should kill you. (just an example. I'm not that type of person).
    Oh, that's already happening (again) in this country with Muslim-Americans. During WWII it was the Japanese-Americans.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:44 PM
    And bsl doesn't just effect pit bulls, it's avg dig with a square head. Also there are 4 breeds that make up a pit-bull, pit-bull is really just a blanket term that covers dogs of a similar appearance.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:45 PM
    How did the injury get so bad that amputation was needed? Usually cats can run faster than dogs, run up trees, etc
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:46 PM
    She's a75lb dog, she attacked it. She ran after it and pounced on him.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Usually cats can run faster than dogs, run up trees, etc. Did anyone see this? Is it an old cat? (I have always had cats, so this makes no sense to me.)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
    I was at work, apparently lady jumped a 7ft fence and attacked the cat. I've only heard the story 2nd and 3rd hand...
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
    The cat was only a year old I was told.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:54 PM
    That should say 5 ft not 7... posting from my phone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I was at work, apparently lady jumped a 7ft fence and attacked the cat. I've only heard the story 2nd and 3rd hand...
    So Lady was not in her yard when the attack occurred?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's here tried la Bella lightning gel if so please help? [ 3 Answers ]

Well I dyed my hair black last yr and I'm getting tired of it and so I tried to dyed it light brown and so I dye my hair about three times and nothing changes only my roots so I was planning on bleaching my hair but I don't want my hair to get damaged since I dyed it a lot so I heard about this...

Need the artis for. Lady you bring me up when I'm down Lady you changed my life around [ 1 Answers ]

Its and older group and a african american group

Hey lady you lady you're a contedted mother [ 1 Answers ]

Hey lady... You lady... I've been to California... I've been to paradise.. You belong to me

Bella [ 11 Answers ]

Hello... I am having a similar problem with my 10 week only Boston Terrier. Because we live in Canada, it is too cold for her to go outside so we are doing the paper training. She has done so very well with peeing... we are doing all the suggested things... praising, treating... we have her on a...

View more questions Search