Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cemmons1997 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 04:40 PM
    2000-2001 murray riding lawn mower
    I have a 2000 or 2001 11 hoarse power Murray riding lawn mower. The mower will crank and idle as it should but when I release the break or engage the blades it seems to loose power and shut off. I have replaced the safety switch for the brake. The mower continues with this problem. Something I noticed was that instead of the mower not cranking when the seat is up and the safety switch under it is not decompressed it cranks regardless.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Aug 2, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Typically if the switches make something happen then they are OK. What I mean is if you lower the deck and it shuts off then that switch is operating. Or if you push down the brake and it stops then that switch is probably Ok too. I would be more inclined to suspect the seat switch. If it stop immediately like you shut the key off then I would go to the seat switch.

But, what I am reading is that the mower slowly dies. If this is what you are saying then maybe you are not getting enough gas to keep it operating when you put a strain on the engine by makng it move or engaging the blade. If is slowly dies out try checking the gas cap to see if the vent hole in the center is clogged. If that doesn't help it sounds like you might need to clean the carburetor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask about murray riding lawn mower [ 0 Answers ]

I have a murray select model number 425001x8 that won't start up.it a riding lawn mower

Murray Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My Murray Rider Lawn Mower will not start. I thought the problem was the starter selenoid so I replaced it. No Good, still won't start. When I crank the key, a loud high pitched and continuous noise is made. Is this a starter issue or spark Plug? Thanks!

Murray riding lawn mower , can't get it started. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Murray riding lawn mower that I can't get started, I have changed the key switch and had the starter checked an it is okay, and the battery is good. It has a briggs and stratton 18hp motor, the motor cranks without spark plug but won't crank with spark plug, starter draws 20 to 30 amps, is...

Murray 12.5 Riding Lawn Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the belt on the lawn mower but the model number is partially missing. This is a 38" cut and an older moldel probably early 90's. How do I find out what belt I need. Any suggestions

Murray Riding Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys.. When I crank my mower... it turns over but will not actually crank. I should start by saying that I did a "no-no". I had a weak battery and several times used my car to start (jump off) the lawn mower.. Since then I have gotten a new battery, but now it won't crank. I noticed smoke...

View more questions Search