Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worried father Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 02:33 PM
    What affects hair strand testing
    My ex has passed a hair strand test for alcohol as a tee total. This is not possible as she is a heavy weekend binge drinker. As she uses heated hair straighteners every day at least once, Would this affect the test results?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worried father View Post
    My ex has passed a hair strand test for alcohol as a tee total. This is not possible as she is a heavy weekend binge drinker. As she uses heated hair straighteners every day at least once, Would this affect the test results?

No, or everyone would use heated hair straighteners.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worried father View Post
    The test isn't for alcohol, which can't be detected in hair, rather for a combination of EtG and FAEEs supposed biomarkers for ethanol. Whether heat only has a direct influence hasn't been tested to the best of my knowledge but water, and particularly hot water, will remove EtG quite effectively. In fact the extraction method used at the lab is water... How is that for a high priced test.

"One reason for a negative EtG result after heavy alcohol consumption may be the cosmetic treatment of hair, as bleaching decreases EtG concentration in hair by 78%. Since ethanol is efficiently extracted from hair by incubation with water, it may be washed out by frequent shampooing or hot shower, particularly from hair with cuticle damaged by dyeing, bleaching, or permanent wave." (p. 309, Kintz)

Even “normal hair hygiene might wash out EtG from the hair.” yet another study confirmed. (Tsanaclis, et al)

Who came up with the idea of hair testing for alcohol use? Very poor choice.

In a regular heavy drinker there are many tests to establish consumption and hair alcohol testing isn't one of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair strand test! Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Right. I'm having to be made to do a drugs and alcohol test that goes back 90 days ( 3 months ) but.. The last time I had a hit on a spliff. And was literally say 2 tokes? Cause id been drinking and my friend told me it was a ciggie. Hey all know full well I hate cannabis. It makes me major...

Where/how can I get a completely voluntary hair strand drug testing done? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm NOT in legal trouble, I'm not oredered to do this, I want it done or other resons. Obviously, I'm willing to pay for it on my own, no matter the cost (well, within reason)... I also realize there is a 'chain of custody' for matteres such as drug tests, and that I'd need to see autorized...

Soy sauce affects ETG testing? [ 6 Answers ]

According to some online posts, Consuming soy sauce or salsa might cause the positive E T G result. How true is this?

Alcohol hair strand tests [ 2 Answers ]

How does an hair strand test work?how far back does it show that alcohol is in my system?if I was to have 2 cans of beer tonight and tomorrow night and then had the test taken on Friday what would it show?

Pot, hair strand testing [ 1 Answers ]

How long does pot stay in the hair. How is the amount calculated? I have a hair follical test coming up soon. I haven't smoked pot in a little over 3 months, and have had a hair cut. Any one out there know anything that could be useful? Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search