Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steveyarrow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Non starting briggs engine.
    Hi Guys.
    Here is the problem. Ihave a 12.5 Briggs engine fitted to a ride on. The plug sparks, the plug is wet with fuel. Starter motor turns the engine over well but the engine does not fire. I have fitted a new regulator which has made no difference. Oil level is fine. Safety swithes on ride on are OK. Can any body help?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Aug 2, 2012, 09:01 AM
    The most common problem that you might have is a sheared keyway between the flywheel and the crankshaft. If you pull the nut off the top of the crank you can see the groove in the crank and a groove in the flywheel. There is an aluminum keyway (square stock) that keeps those two items lined up. They must be perfectly in line. If they are even a little off it will fire at the wrong time and the engine will not run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mrray 17HP engine with 17.5HP Briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can I replace a 17hp murry rideon mower engine with a 17.5hp briggs engine

2006 briggs & stratton 18.5 engine can only move engine 1/4 turn & it stops [ 4 Answers ]

2006 craftsman briggs & stratton 18.5 engine ran fine , I shut off for 10 min coould not get it started again. Starter is good, oil level is good. Took cover off top of engine can only move engine 1/4 turn & it stops like it is jamed on something. The machine has very few hours of use & was always...

Engine switch V twin briggs for Briggs intek ohc [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to exchange a 19 hp V Twin into a Craftsman lt 2000 mower. It was originally equipped with a 22 hp Intek V OHC. I am wondering how different the wiring is going to be. Also is this possible? The 19 HP twin is Model 42A777 Type 1236 01. The Intek is Model 407777 Type 0174 E1 Thank...

Starting Briggs & Stratton 10HP engine that has not run for 2-yrs [ 5 Answers ]

Cleaned plug, put a little gas in chamber, put new gasoline in tank and still won't start after many tries. Has the old gasoline caused the problem and do I need to clean carb? Bronco Bob

View more questions Search