Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonjon01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Credit card reduced balance
    Is it true that credit card companies will except a reduced settlement of your balance if you make them an offer if they believe there is little chance of them receiving the full amount other wise, if so is there a stencil letter on the web to use:confused:
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Mar 5, 2007, 10:58 AM
    I have had debt settled in the past (though the "settled" amount was the original amount minus all the fees, charges, and penalties they added to the debt when it when delinquent.) All it took was a phone call, where I basically said: "I'd like to take care of this debt, but I am unable to pay the full amount. Can you offer a reduction?" In which they replied "the best they could do is remove the added fees." They MAY have been able to do more had I pressed the issue, but I did actually owe the debt so I did not wish to cheat them out of it.

As I said, it just took a phone call, in which afterwards I had them send it to me in writing. I looked around for a template but came up empty.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Hello jon:

Even if there was a form, it wouldn't work. Serious negotiation only occurs face to face or on the phone. Nobody is going to make a deal with you in a letter. Nobody!

excon
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 6, 2007, 07:45 AM
    When I was in serious debt and sold my house I wrote to all my creditors offering them 75% of my balance as a settlement figure and all but two accepted.

I wrote to them saying what my situation was and would they accept blah amount as full and final settlement of this account.

I didn't have a problem with it at all.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

A/R Credit Balance [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the entries I need to make when I refund an A/R credit balance with a company check?

Law office collecting on old credit card balance [ 3 Answers ]

I owe about $1600 dollars on a credit card, that I opened when I was 18. I paid half my tuition on it, and I could not make the payments. That was 3 years ago (I am 21 now). I have received numerous letters from the credit card company, and then from creditors, and last week I received one that...

Credit cards: leaving a small balance for 1st time user [ 17 Answers ]

I have been told that it is wise for a first time user (college student) to leave a small balance on your credit card to build credit. For instance, I have a $1000.00 limit on a credit card; haven't come close to maxing it out; at most maybe $500.00 at one time. I have paid $450.00 (leaving a...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

View more questions Search