Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Header in Gable End Wall
    I'm looking for some input on headers required in Gable End Walls. I don't have a true header above my livingroom window and am wondering if, since it is a gable end wall, one is required.

In the attached pic, the blue rectangle is the rim joist (SINGLE 2x10 - approx. 15' overall length) which is part of the upstairs floor structure. The roof comprises 2x6 rafters on 24" centers, and the entire front is sheathed in 3/4" plywood. There are collar ties (green) between rafters as shown and the window opening is 6-foot wide.

Obviously this is not sufficient for a normal load bearing wall, but might this be OK for a gable end as shown? (It has stood for 60+ years)

I was considering sistering a 2nd 2x10 approx. 8' long to the existing blue rim joist (centered above the window). Would this be a good idea, necessary, or still not enough?

Thanks so much for any advice.
    Attached Images

nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 5, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Nice pic Linfield!
    An additional belly band scabbed to the rim joist shearwall sided exterior is IMO not worth bothering unless there is a settling issue over that 6' window. If there are interior sheetrock cracks at the kingstud 2x header then that may need correcting.
    Usually it is the sheetrocker who hung vertical instead of horizontal along the wall into the header area in one piece. But if this is an earthquake concern, still that window is not going to rack unless there is no shearwall around it. Good job... nm
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
    WOW nm! Thanks for the VERY fast response!

Just so I'm clear with all of that: What is shown in the pic should be sufficient even without the additional 2x10 added to the existing rim joist, UNLESS interior cracks have appeared indicating that the single rim joist was not adequately supporting the load? Single-sheet horizontal sheetrock spanning the entire window span would help to prevent cracks due to minor shifting? Is that pretty much correct? Sorry if I'm dense, it's Monday!

Thanks again,
    Brian
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 5, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LinfieldPA
    WOW nm! Thanks for the VERY fast response!

Just so I'm clear with all of that: What is shown in the pic should be sufficient even without the additional 2x10 added to the existing rim joist, UNLESS interior cracks have appeared indicating that the single rim joist was not adequately supporting the load? Single-sheet horizontal sheetrock spanning the entire window span would help to prevent cracks due to minor shifting? Is that pretty much correct? Sorry if I'm dense, it's Monday!

Thanks again,
    Brian
    Hey, I have the same problem on Fridays. You are pretty much on target. That rim joist is most likely parallel to the upstairs joisting which puts the major live load on the right and left bearing walls and not the GE over the front window. Usually a second floor end joist is doubled up in the framing to start with. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, there are a lot of other things to worry about in our cranked up everyday living. :D nm
    ancompromAbova Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2021, 07:49 PM
    КОМ ВОДОВОЗ - подробнее на сайте ancomprom.ru

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Clark gable movie [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the name of a movie that starred Clark Gable, Sidney Poiter and I think it was Yvonne DeCarlo. It was in Louisiana during or after the civil war. DeCarlo found out she had a small percentage of black blood and Gable was a plantation owner.

Central heating header tank [ 1 Answers ]

Upon restarting the central heating for the winter period the following 2 things have occurred (I don't think they're related) 1) One of the rads only gets hot at the bottom (3/4 inches up the rad) the rad does not want to bleed i.e. no air coming out. 2) AND MORE WORRYING ! - once or twice...

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

Unable to read file header message when attempting to open jpeg attachments [ 7 Answers ]

I have been unable to open jpeg files that are attached to email for several days! I have tried both Thunderird and Outlook Express and have disabled the block on attachments. No luck! The problem seemed to start when I attempted to load WinFax Pro and had an incomplete installation then when...

View more questions Search