Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:09 PM
    Owen's chin
    Money is tight so we changed his food thinking he out grew allergies and could try new food. He got a few "pimples" but we never thought it was his food. Today we noticed how bad his chin was and hubby called the vet. I wanted the vet called as I was thinking it was something else... mange? They said once he described it to put him back on his fish only food (Pacificana Salmon) and to clean it with peroxide. If it is not getting better in a few days he is to come in.

I was talking to Alty as I am so peeved off at myself for causing this and she suggested I post here. She also wonders if it is heat rash. I will be honest I am sticking with the Salmon food I am not changing anything for him unless told to by the vet. I am so angry with myself.. I should know better not to do this stuff.

He is acting normal otherwise. It has been hot here, so hot there are days we can't walk him. I have had to cool him off some days with a cool shower. He was panting so hard I was scared and Alty suggested it.

As usual any more info needed please ask.
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Forgot to mention he is on a Reactine a day as per the vet. The grass seems to bother his feet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Subscribing to this thread because I'd like to see what other people suggest. I'm pretty much at a loss here.

It really does look like heat rash to me, but allergies make more sense, seeing as he has had allergy issues in the past.

Like I told you on fb, I would keep the area clean, and keep an eye on it. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, or gets worse, you'll need to go to the vet.

I do have a question for the other experts that post. Anyone think trying benadryl would be a good idea?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Have you changed anything other than his food, perhaps a new food or water bowl?
    Is it itchy?
    I'm not familiar with reactine, so I'm going to read.
    Have you tried cool compresses to soothe the area?
    As for the benadryl, another reason I am going to read about the reactine.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Have you changed anything other than his food, perhaps a new food or water bowl?
    Is it itchy?
    I'm not familiar with reactine, so I'm going to read.
    Have you tried cool compresses to soothe the area?
    As for the benadryl, another reason I am going to read about the reactine.
    Posted about the benadryl before I knew he was on Reactine. Definitely wouldn't mix the two. :)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Just his food has been changed. I will try cool compresses now. His dishes are metal for water dish and ceramic for food dish. He does scratch it.
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Posted about the benadryl before I knew he was on Reactine. Definitely wouldn't mix the two. :)
    Yeah, my thought was any contraindications if any and if drowsiness is a side effect of reactine you may not want to add another drowsiness causing med to that, if the page ever loads on this dinosaur of a computer I'm going to read it for my own little educational purposes.

Same bowls huh? Sort of blows the reaction to food bowl theory out of the water.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 05:59 PM
    He has always had those bowls as we had a cat with severe allergies. So severe we never even considered trying other foods. The vet had told us plastic bowls are bad for animals
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
    After much waiting on this slow machine I found out basically that Canada's Reactine is the US's Zyrtec, so no I surely wouldn't mix the two without having a conversation with my vet.
    Not only is there a possible interaction, but also 2 meds that cause drowsiness could result in a very sleepy Owen.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 06:43 PM
    LadySam does it look like allergies or heat rash? Will using the peroxide harm him if it is only heat rash. That is what the vet recommended. He does not like the cold compresses so I figure it is tender as some are open sores. I am still doing it off and on.

Any other suggestions of stuff I can do to help him?
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 06:54 PM
    If he has allergies I would tend to think that is what is causing the bumps on his chin.
    You will want to try and make sure that he doesn't scratch at it and cause a secondary infection.
    Just how allergic is Owen, are you able to use a mild hydrocortisone cream for discomfort?
    Knowing how crazy this sounds I'm going to throw it out there anyway.
    I recently have had poison ivy, someone suggested cleaning the areas with alcohol then after drying apply Milk of Magnesia. It actually calmed the itching quite well. (And I think it unclogged my pores heheheh)
    I don't know that I would put alcohol on him if those places are open at all though.
    But yes, if not improving in a few days I would have him in to the vet just to check things out.
    Oh and; cute jowels, I just want to squeeze them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 06:59 PM
    Thinking of baby's diaper rash, what about corn starch?

Calamine lotion?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
    I thought he was not that allergic and had outgrown it. I thought the bumps when they were pimple like were just that pimples. He has never been tested for exact allergies as it is costly at least that is what we were told and no guarantees they find out his allergies.

Sad thing is this is all my fault.. I thought he was fine. I changed his food. I did not pay attention to his chin.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR NO matter what he is staying on this food unless he has issues with it. I will find a way to get it.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 07:01 PM
    WG he licks his chin can those things dogs ingest?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Corn starch won't hurt him. (My mil uses it to make gravy.) A light dusting would keep it from itching. Calamine lotion probably won't be bad for him, but LadySam might know for sure. Would have to read the label. *off to read the label*

Calamine is a mixture of zinc oxide (ZnO) with about 0.5% ferric oxide (Fe2O3). It is the main ingredient in calamine lotion and is used as an antipruritic (anti-itching agent, attributed to the presence of phenol in the formulation) to treat mild pruritic conditions such as sunburn, eczema, rashes, poison ivy, poison oak, chickenpox, and insect bites and stings.[1][2][3][4][5][6] It is also used as a mild antiseptic to prevent infections that can be caused by scratching the affected area, and an astringent to dry weeping or oozing blisters and acne abscesses.[7] (Wikipedia)

Important safety information:
    Calamine Lotion is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes and mucous membranes.

Read more at http://www.drugs.com/cdi/calamine-lo...3pw78uQ1SrZ.99
    Dogs Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
    I asked WG as I know some people food dogs can't have. I am no longer trusting myself and going to ask and ask about everything for him. From what you posted no Calamine for him for sure.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Right, no Calamine, but the corn starch might help. My mil uses it in gravy and my mom used it for diaper rash. :)
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 10:00 PM
    That's a problem, he can lick his chin and he is highly allergic, the corn starch is a good idea if he doesn't have an allergy to corn. The things that I can think of that wouldn't hurt him to ingest Vit-e, a THIN layer of neosporin, but they won't have the drying action that other things would have. They may soothe somewhat but it sounds like anything you put on there is just going to get licked off.
    I don't know that I've ever seen a dog lick it's chin, how on earth does he manage that?
    After thought: Owen is neutered right?
    Call and ask what was used to scrub him for the surgery, my guesses would be either betadine or chlorhexidine, if he had no reaction to the surgical prep you should be safely able to keep it clean and bacteria free with the same thing.
    I suggest asking because some dogs to have skin reactions to betadine and you probably don't want to chance that with him.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 06:20 AM
    I am assuming he can lick his chin as when Henry puts the peroxide on his chin (and he is careful to only put it on the chin) Owen will start drooling and licking his lips. To me it looks like he is able to get the peroxide off. To be honest I have not actually seen him do it. Owen does also have what I am told is a large tongue. Apparently the breeder was concerned it was too big for his mouth when he was little at least that is what my niece told me who is friends with her.
    His chin looks a bit better this morning not a lot but a bit.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 08:05 AM
    The cream I use on my Crested is brilliant. Neotopic-H Lotion. It rubs into the skin so there is no way to lick it off and on top of being an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic it also contains an anesthetic so it numbs the area to stop itching.

I use it for everything, cuts, scrapes ,clipper rash, bites. Very multi purpose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting some of Owen's shampoo in his mouth. [ 5 Answers ]

While I was at work Hubby gave Owen his weekly bath. He is using Vet Solutions Canadian Medicated Shampoo (prescribed by vet). Active ingredients are : Sulfur(from Sodium Thiosulfate)2% w/v; Salicylic Acid USP 2% w/v Owen is drooling more than normal and that is the only thing that is...

Chin Pimples! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, do you guys have any remedies to treat chin pimples? I seem to have pimples in the right side of my chin over and over again. I am 19, normal weight. Thank you.

Something is on my chin. [ 2 Answers ]

SOmething is on my chin. About a year ago I thought I had a really bad breakout but it never went away... It looks like flat worts on my chin. They get better and worse but are always there. Is this something I should be concerned with. I googled it and it told me that they would go away on its...

Didn't have hair in chin [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I am about 28 yrs old, but I didn't got hairs in my chin.. and look like a child.. what the problem I didn't understood.. please the solution for this problem..

Double chin! [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I weigh 100pounds and I'm still young, 14 yrs old and I've already got double chin. I didn't have a double chin when I was younger, but now I've got one. Any suggestions on what to do to remove my double chin? :eek:

View more questions Search