Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lhaynes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
    SSI for child under 18
    Question is... how does the state of Va penalize a single mother with a child with disabilities. My daughter is 13 and every month I have to turn in what I gross for the month at two part time jobs, and that is based on what my daughter draws for her SSI check that month.
    Now, I thought SSI payments should be based on money for the child, like child support etc... But I do NOT understand why the parents income has anything to do with it at all. I basically have to live in poverty and watch my hours every month so my daughter can draw a 43 dollar check just so she can have the insurance to pay for her medical attention, cause I can't afford insurance on myself at this time and I don't think at this time, there would be any insurance around that would even take on my daughters condition without me paying an arm and a leg for it each month. I have no home and I own one car, please tell me why they try to make the parent pay??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhaynes View Post
    Question is... how does the state of Va penalize a single mother with a child with disabilities. My daughter is 13 and every month I have to turn in what I gross for the month at two part time jobs, and that is based on what my daughter draws for her SSI check that month.
    Now, I thought SSI payments should be based on money for the child, like child support etc...But I do NOT understand why the parents income has anything to do with it at all. I basically have to live in poverty and watch my hours every month so my daughter can draw a 43 dollar check just so she can have the insurance to pay for her medical attention, cause I can't afford insurance on myself at this time and I dont think at this time, there would be any insurance around that would even take on my daughters condition without me paying an arm and a leg for it each month. I have no home and I own one car, please tell me why they try to make the parent pay???

I don't know what you are asking?

They try to make the parent pay because that's how the law is written.

Where is the father in all of this?

SSI is a low income program. SSD, of course, is not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In FLORIDA 23yr old son receives SSI will SSI affect his child support amount he rece [ 7 Answers ]

We live in Florida. My 23yr old mentally retarded/autistic son receives SSI and I want to know if the SSI he receives will be adjusted in the amount of child supportthat his non custodial father has to pay. Will they deduct the SSI amount from the amount of child support due thereby reducing the...

Child on ssi dies, does his child receive benefits when born [ 1 Answers ]

My son was 16 and on ssi for a brain injury. He was killed in an accident and has a child on the way. Will his child receive any ssi benefits?

Child Support for adult child receiving SSI [ 5 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my child support continues until graduation or age 19, whichever comes first. My son had seizures when he was a baby and was on medication until age 10. After our divorce the ex managed to enable him to get SSI payments. He has recently turned 18 and I know she is...

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

View more questions Search