Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pure Gemini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Do you have to prove that you are a US citizen to vote?
    I am a US citizen and I have just recently learned that we are not required to show ID to vote. If this is the case then isn't it possible for illegals to vote? Concerned
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Do you not receive voter registration with all pertinent data on it? That is your validation. At least that is the validation in Ontario. I don't show ID when I vote in provincial elections; when I make myself known , and show my voter registration, they check me off the list as being eligible to vote.

I don't know, are you here to create a problem, are you a troll ?

How often do you vote not to know the system where you are? Tell us.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
    I've been a US citizen all my life and have never shown ID in order to vote (in NY and IL). I take along my voter card that comes in the mail in case there's a problem (but never has been one).

There has never been a problem with illegals voting.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
    Actually the voter ID requirements depend on the sate in which you liove. Here's a good overview of what form of ID is required, from:
    Voter ID: State Requirements

As for whether illegals voting is an issue or not - lots of opinions and not much evidence one way or the other. Personally I'm more concerned with the possibility of voter fraud by regular citizens, such as a person voting multiple times under different names. That's how JFK won the 1960 election (thank you Illinois, where we vote early and often!), and it could happen again.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a US citizen whose father was born in greece and is a dual US/Greek citizen. [ 0 Answers ]

I know that I can obtain greek citizenship through my father but is it possible for my children , 22 and 25 to obtain it from me?

Taxes for EU citizen married to dual US/EU citizen earning income both in US and EU [ 3 Answers ]

I am not a US citizen who lived and worked in the USA from 2000 - 2008 (worked 2003 - 2008 with H1B visa). My wife is an American and EU citizen and we got married in 2010. We both work, get paid and pay taxes in Europe. We jointly own real estate in the US which we rent and we are interested to...

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

Citizen and vote [ 2 Answers ]

My friend registered for vote 4 years ago {just registration but he never vote } , he will apply for citizenship next year , is registration for vote will cause a problem ? Thank you

A Vote for McBush is a Vote for Iran War [ 35 Answers ]

A vote for McBush is a vote for a War on Iran. How do you like the War of Adventurism against Iraq which will last 100 years or until America destroys itself economically? Do you think that our colony Iraq, a future colony of Iran, and add another colony perhaps in Afghanistan will ever be in...

View more questions Search