Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UncloudedEyes Posts: 47, Reputation: 0

Jul 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Rat Advice?
    I recently bought the most beautiful rat from a pet store, and have asked about the best way to take care of him. Only problem is the guy at the pet store didn't sound very sure about what he was saying. I researched about them but most websites I tried conflicted what the last site said. I would really appreciate anyone telling me the best way to take care of my boy and give him a good life.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by UncloudedEyes View Post
    I recently bought the most beautiful rat from a pet store, and have asked about the best way to take care of him. Only problem is the guy at the pet store didn't sound very sure about what he was saying. I researched about them but most websites I tried conflicted what the last site said. I would really appreciate anyone telling me the best way to take care of my boy and give him a good life.

I trust the ASPCA - ASPCA | Rat Care

Jul 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I trust the ASPCA - ASPCA | Rat Care
    Thanks a lot!
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Thanks alot!

I know NOTHING about rats. Come back and let us know if they're good pets.

Jul 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I know NOTHING about rats. Come back and let us know if they're good pets.
    So far I think they are amazing!
    Brianna01hermy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 07:49 AM
    So far I think they are amazing!
    I've got a few rats named batrat and sparky I'm sure you'll have a great time with your pet!! Oh and you should get the book my rat by Gerd Ludwig it will have a grey and white rat on the cover oh and your rat will need a bigger cage with a companion. Or else he could die
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna01hermy View Post
    I've got a few rats named batrat and sparky I'm sure you'll have a great time with your pet!!!! Oh and you should get the book my rat by Gerd Ludwig it will have a grey and white rat on the cover oh and your rat will need a bigger cage with a companion. Or else he could die

Why would living alone cause a rat to die?

Aug 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
    I've got a few rats named batrat and sparky I'm sure you'll have a great time with your pet!!!! Oh and you should get the book my rat by Gerd Ludwig it will have a grey and white rat on the cover oh and your rat will need a bigger cage with a companion. Or else he could die
    Why would he die from living alone?
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 12:29 PM

Oh, good, it's not just me.

I stopped at the pet store yesterday to buy some dog treats and looked at the rats. I didn't know they are so many different colors. One of the salesgirls had one on her shoulder and he was just riding around.

If you can get past the "Oh, look. It's a RAT!" moment they look pretty cute - this one was really friendly.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Do rats, like mice, go potty wherever they are -- riding on one's shoulder, for instance? They are cute, cling nicely to clothes as they crawl around, but leave a pungent "trail" behind them.

Aug 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do rats, like mice, go potty wherever they are -- riding on one's shoulder, for instance? They are cute, cling nicely to clothes as they crawl around, but leave a pungent "trail" behind them.
    My rat so far has never done it when riding on my shoulder, but I put him on my mom once and he did. :3 I think after a while they learn not to 'go' outside of the cage, but it may take a while for them to learn. Not 100% sure, but it's what it seems like.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
    oh and your rat will need a bigger cage with a companion. Or else he could die
    Rats don't need companions to stay alive.

Also, at this point, if the OP were to add another rat to the cage, there likely would be fighting over territory.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
    My rat so far has never done it when riding on my shoulder, but I put him on my mom once and he did. :3 I think after a while they learn not to 'go' outside of the cage, but it may take a while for them to learn. Not 100% sure, but it's what it seems like.
    How do they learn?
    Entomology Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How do they learn?
    Rats are incredibly smart.

They will pee and poo on people if they are scared. After much handling, they get used to it and seem to know that this is not the place for them to relieve themselves.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Rats are incredibly smart.
    They must be smarter than mice.
    Entomology Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
    They do seem to be. I have had both. Mice can learn to adapt but it seems that rats can learn to think.
    Brianna01hermy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Because out in the wild they usually live in big groups. I had a rat named cocoa an it was just her and she died and she actually wasn't old
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Because out in the wild they usually live in big groups. I had a rat named cocoa an it was just her and she died and she actually wasn't old
    She didn't die of loneliness.
    Entomology Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
    Perhaps you think she died from being alone but I guarantee you, it wasn't because of that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Rats, as well as mice, are very smart. Can't get pet rats where I live, but mice are available. I've tried to talk hubby into a mouse a few times, we got hamsters instead. Dumber than posts. Cute though. ;)

Rats can be trained very easily. They can also be potty trained (I'm sure if this because I potty trained my dumb hamsters, if they can do it, a rat can). They do not need companionship from another rat in order to live long lives. Would they be happier with a companion, well it really depends on the amount of time you spend with your pet. If you spend 1 hour a week with your rat, then a friend would be a good idea, and really not that hard to introduce to your current rat. If you spend lots of time with your rat then you don't need to get him a friend.

Make sure that the rat has the proper nutrition, safe toys, and a lot of attention.

I'm not a rat expert, so I would have to do some research before giving any more information from what I've already posted, but from friends that have had rats, and having had mice (a close relative) I do know that the above info is accurate.

We need Shazzy, our current rat expert. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Tell If My Rat Is Pregnant [ 20 Answers ]

I have 4 rats, three males, one female. All three males mated with my female on exactly May 28th, 2012. Now it is the 18th of June, and it has been 21 days and most websites I have been to for help say that the average female gives birth on the 21st to 23rd day. My rat seems to be slightly rounder,...

Second Rat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an eight month pet rat. She is incredibly affectionate and we spend a lot of time together. I have read that it is borderline unethical to keep a solitary rat. I have been considering getting her a rat friend. I am just concerned that it is too late and she wouldn't adjust to the...

My pet rat got loose! I need advice on how to find him quickly and safely... [ 3 Answers ]

I have three pet rats. I took one out for some playtime and he got away. He then proceeded to disappear completely. I don't have too much space for him to roam and I have little to no clutter for him to hide in. I already put some food out for him but I'm a worrier and would like to know if someone...

Bonding with my rat? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have 2 pet rat who are nearly 7 month old, But I'm not sure if they are bonded to me, they will come see me and take food from my hand , climb al over me etc, but they all ways want to run on the floor and be doing something else, I don't know if it's that hey are babies and they want to...

Rat Control [ 18 Answers ]

I have lived in the same home for 27 yrs. Nothing has changed! There is just furniture in my basement, absolutely no food. The basement is "all of a sudden" infested with rats. I have set 6 traps... I have only one trap left. Now I must find the rats in the other traps. Yuk! Why... all of a...

View more questions Search