I potty trained my dumb hamsters
    What does that mean?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What does that mean?
    I litter box trained my hamsters.

They actually sell teeny tiny litter boxes for hamsters, gerbils and rats. When I bought one the pet store employee laughed and said "good luck".

But all three of our hamsters were litter trained. It even came with a teeny tiny scoop, like a cat litter scoop. It was really very cute. You can even buy special litter made for hamsters.

I did feel a bit silly whenever I took the "fit in my hand" litter box out of the cage and used the scoop as big as my thumb to clean it, but they learned. Love hamsters, cute as a bug, but not that bright. Mice and rats are much smarter. So, if you can train a hamster to potty in a litter box, I know you can train a mouse or rat. Heck, the bunnies are litter box trained too! :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
    I see. You just worked with their habit of always going potty in one specific corner and instead of scooping waste, you could actually remove a container of waste, empty it, wash it, and put it back.
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
    I see. You just worked with their habit of always going potty in one specific corner and instead of scooping waste, you could actually remove a container of waste, empty it, wash it, and put it back.
    More like scoop it. It really was a tiny potty place, like a very tiny cat litter box, or bunny litter box. It was made to fit in a corner. Actually, it was really easy to train them. Hamsters, like rats and rabbits, usually pick one corner to potty in. Figure out which corner, put the litter box in that corner, and they go in the litter box.

I'll have to find a picture of the litter box we bought for the hammies. It really was very cute. Tiny! A very miniature version of a rabbit litter box, that fits an entire rabbit. Well, the hammy litter box fit a hammy, and the litter was made for the hammies, came in a bag the size of a lunch bag, and lasted for months. It was so small. I actually bought it originally because I thought it was so cute, came with the teeny tiny litter scooper. But it worked. Whodda thunk?
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Found a picture of one of the litter boxes I bought for one of the three hammies we had. The exact one.

Name:  Hammy litter box..jpg
Views: 116
Size:  7.7 KB
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
    I Googled and found some. We had a number of hamsters when my sons were small.
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
    I Googled and found some. We had a number of hamsters when my sons were small.
    They really are adorable, which is why I bought one. But they actually do work, and you don't really even need to train the hamster. Just put it in the corner where he potties, and he'll use it.

Rats are much smarter than hamsters, so I'm very sure they'd figure it out even quicker. I would suggest a bigger litter box though. Doesn't have to be store bought, you could use a disposable container, one that's big enough for the rat to sit in, put in some hamster or rabbit litter, and away you go. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
    My cats love mice so they would probably love rats too. :)

A litter thingie would save a bit of work in cleaning rats' homes.
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 06:56 PM
    My cats love mice so they would probably love rats too. :)

A litter thingie would save a bit of work in cleaning rats' homes.
    It really does make a huge difference with caged animals.

Cats aren't caged, but a litter box really is helpful.

For animals like hamsters, rats, rabbits, animals that are caged for the majority of the time, a litter box is even more important, unless you're a super diligent pet owner that cleans the cage daily. I do, but I'm not the norm. Also, my work is cut in half because my bunnies potty where they're supposed to, except for Oreo, but she's a rare case.

If a hamster can learn to use a litter box, a rat can, and it really well make the owners life easier, and the pets life better. Less mess, less cleanup, a cleaner cage, a happier animal, and a happier owner. :)
    Brianna01hermy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Perhaps you think she died from being alone but I guarantee you, it wasn't because of that.
    Well I had asked an expert on rats and he said she died of loneliness even though I paid tons of attention to her but I don't know if your right or he is
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
    He probably was saying the easy thing since he didn't know what she really died of. It wasn't loneliness.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna01hermy View Post
    Well I had asked an expert on rats and he said she died of loneliness even though I payed tons of attention to her but I don't know if your right or he is
    Trust me... I've had numerous rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs... all sorts of things since I was a kid. None of my rats ever died of loneliness. I am going to guess that this "expert" you talk about didn't have a real answer for you so he simply agreed with the loneliness thing. Lots of things can kill a rodent. I have found that rats tend to get cancer fairly easily... but loneliness, no.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Teeny, tiny diapers (sorry, I just came back to this).

I am looking into cockatiel diapers.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna01hermy View Post
    Well I had asked an expert on rats and he said she died of loneliness even though I payed tons of attention to her but I don't know if your right or he is

If the expert was a salesperson in a pet store I am not the least bit surprised. There is a thin line between "expert" and "hired yesterday with no experience" in some of those places.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Teeny, tiny diapers (sorry, I just came back to this).

I am looking into cockatiel diapers.
    Do you REALLY want to be a diaper-changing slave?
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Found a picture of one of the litter boxes I bought for one of the three hammies we had. The exact one.

Alty, I love you but you have entirely too much time on your hands. For whatever reason I am vastly amused by the thought of you scooping hamster litter - I really do need to find something to keep myself occupied.

I'm looking at the dogs and wondering if I had a doggie litter box for a dog that weighs 150 pounds how large a scoop I would need.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    if I had a doggie litter box for a dog that weighs 150 pounds how large a scoop I would need.
    A shovel from Home Depot.
    Pets Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Odinn beat me to it. A shovel would work. Personally, I'd like to teach my dogs to use the toilet. I know you can teach cats to do that, so why not dogs? It would save so much pickup time, and mess. If I could also teach them to scrub the toilet when they're done... hmmmm... I may be onto something here!
    UK Apple Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 03:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Rats don't need companions to stay alive.

Also, at this point, if the OP were to add another rat to the cage, there likely would be fighting over territory.

If you introduce them correctly they wouldn't fight (i.e. don't just drop them straight in) and as they are herd animals then they do need to be in groups. A human can't substitute as they won't be able to communicate with the rat.
    UK Apple Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 03:22 AM
    She didn't die of loneliness.
    She probably did as rats are herd animals so she would have had no one to communicate with. Even if there was a trigger like a small illness since, so to speak, there was no one to live for she wouldn't have recovered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Tell If My Rat Is Pregnant [ 20 Answers ]

I have 4 rats, three males, one female. All three males mated with my female on exactly May 28th, 2012. Now it is the 18th of June, and it has been 21 days and most websites I have been to for help say that the average female gives birth on the 21st to 23rd day. My rat seems to be slightly rounder,...

Second Rat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an eight month pet rat. She is incredibly affectionate and we spend a lot of time together. I have read that it is borderline unethical to keep a solitary rat. I have been considering getting her a rat friend. I am just concerned that it is too late and she wouldn't adjust to the...

My pet rat got loose! I need advice on how to find him quickly and safely... [ 3 Answers ]

I have three pet rats. I took one out for some playtime and he got away. He then proceeded to disappear completely. I don't have too much space for him to roam and I have little to no clutter for him to hide in. I already put some food out for him but I'm a worrier and would like to know if someone...

Bonding with my rat? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have 2 pet rat who are nearly 7 month old, But I'm not sure if they are bonded to me, they will come see me and take food from my hand , climb al over me etc, but they all ways want to run on the floor and be doing something else, I don't know if it's that hey are babies and they want to...

Rat Control [ 18 Answers ]

I have lived in the same home for 27 yrs. Nothing has changed! There is just furniture in my basement, absolutely no food. The basement is "all of a sudden" infested with rats. I have set 6 traps... I have only one trap left. Now I must find the rats in the other traps. Yuk! Why... all of a...

View more questions Search