Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikekim2297 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
    Can grandparents get a DNA test to prove if they are biological grandparents?
    Can grandparents get a DNA test to prove if they are the biological grandparents of their grandchild?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 29, 2012, 08:38 PM
    DNA testing of this sort has to be done through the male parent and his male parent.
    If the grandfather fits that condition, then you have to get his son and the child's (male or female) DNA done too, and that would require the co-operation of the rest of the people involved.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
    It can be done but why, is there an issue ? Is one of the parents dead and the grandparents are trying to get visitation ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekim2297 View Post
    Can grandparents get a DNA test to prove if they are the biological grandparents of their grandchild?
    Why? It matters.

(I'm a step Grandmother. My grandchildren - and they are my grandchildren - don't care. I don't either.)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2012, 02:35 AM
    I think it's possible to skip the bio father's DNA and get the DNA of the bio father's father and the child (of either gender). But paternity DNA testing can ONLY be done through the male lineage.
    Again, if other parties (usually the mother) won't agree to have the child's DNA tested, there is nothing a possible grandparent can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological grandparents [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for my dad's biological parent's. He was born Dec. 31, 1965 or 1964. He was born in Jamestown or Bismark, ND. I would like to get some answers because having my dad being adopted leaves me wondering what my heritage is. All I know is my mom's side of the family but I would love to know...

Find my biological grandparents [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for my husbands biological grandparents.His mother was adopted and is now 81.Not much chance her real mother is still alive but you never know.I'm sure she was really young when she gave her up {personal info removed}

How do I find my biological grandparents? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, my name is Dan and I've just rescently started searching for my grandparents because I'm interested in finding out who they were and what they were like. I already know they died and how they did and the year it happened but I'm still unable to find them or even they're orbituaries. I...

Biological Grandparents [ 1 Answers ]

My father was adopted and both of his adoptive parents have passed. I was wondering if there was some way that I could find my biological grandparents? I know that my mother had been in touch with them several years ago, but communication suddenly stopped. I would like to know more about my family....

Finding my Biological Grandparents [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My Father was adopted in New Zealand and he is not interested in finding his biological family. I have always wanted to find out who they are. How much information will I have access to? And is there anyway I can find them without my Father's input? Thanks Tegan:confused:

View more questions Search