Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diana in LB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 04:59 PM
    Real estate law
    My husband and I lost our jobs. We filled for BK that settled in 3/2012. We have missed 14 mortgage payments. We cash out our $40,000 IRA to survive, now we need the NOD from lender in order to avoid penalty on IRA, but the lender is not sending it... Mortgage loan amount is $175k -condo is worth about $75k plus I owe 4months of HOA. Im too stressed out to think straight please help?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
    4 months ago your bankruptcy discharge was granted, but at that time you were already 10 months behind on your mortgage? Presumably you were far upside-down even when you filed for bankruptcy protection. It looks like you should have surrendered the condo. Then you could have avoided liability for a deficiency judgment. Ask your bankruptcy lawyer if it's not too late to amend.

By "NOD", I guess you mean notice of default. The lender can take all the time it wants to provide that, I think.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Yes, why was the home not included in the bankruptcy
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, why was the home not included in the bankruptcy
    It probably was included. But mortgagees are secured. The automatic stay would have prevented them from foreclosing until the bankruptcy was complete, but once the bankruptcy is over, they can proceed to foreclose.

But I'm not sure what I was thinking earlier. The deficiency, being unsecured, would have been discharged. The bank can't go after it now.

I am assuming the condo was OP's residence. If so, they would not have been able to "cram down" the mortgage to the $75K present value.

Jul 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Thank you for the information.. Yes the condo was part of the BK but the bank has not even sent anything regarding the foreclosure process. According to the bank they will send me a 1099 for the difference if the house gets sold in a short sale. Can they do that even though it was part of the BK.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana in LB View Post
    ... According to the bank they will send me a 1099 for the difference if the house gets sold in a short sale. Can they do that even though it was part of the BK.
    I think the difference will be $0. As I said, you don't owe them anything more than what they get for it.

Jul 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
    401k /ira
    Me and my husband lost our jobs and our home is in the process of foreclosure. We cash out our retirements as long as its towards a purchase of a new home (as advised by a friend). Another thing we are hoping for is that since the condo is in the process of foreclosure we can receive a Notice of default (NOD) and use that to protect ourselves from being penalized by the IRS (hardship clause/ per IRS). All of these where a result of advises and internet research. I want to know if there are other implications that I'm not aware off? If so how much will the IRS penalize me for using my 401K and IRA? Please advise. Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Unfortunately, the provision that allows you waive the penalty on an early withdrawal from your IRA is for the purchase of a NEW home, not to pay your mortgage or prevent foreclosure.

And there is no such provision for using your 401K funds for this reason.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Your friend was misinformed. There is an exception for being hit with the 10% early withdrawal penalty from an IRA for first time home buyers, who are allowed to take out up to $10K for the purchase of a first home. You would qualify if neither you nor your spouse had any interest in a main home for the previous two years, but that's not the case here. If you cashed out $40K from your IRA then plan on paying the $4K penalty with your 2012 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate Law [ 2 Answers ]

I found a house that was vacant and dilapidated. The neighbors say that the previous owners haven't been there for over 12 years and they believe that the owners have no interest in the property. I want to make the house mine. What should my 1st step be to turn this property over in my name,...

Real estate law [ 1 Answers ]

Question is, tenant had a dog against lease agreement, the dog gets out and bites a neighbor what is the landlords liablility.

Real Estate Law [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a Love to help person, but I need help, please. A friend sleeps in my home at night to catch up on sleep so that she can look for a job and a place to live. She is homeless, she's been doing this for months and have not found a job nor a place to live. This is getting old and my husband is...

Real Estate Law [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about selling my house. I bought this house from my father 12 yrs. Ago. It has appreciated quite a bit since then. I would like to know if I buy another house for more or the same amount of money that I will be selling this house for (a lateral move) am I responsible for any...

Real Estate Law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Orlando, Florida and I need to know what the laws are in this state governing breaking a lease. I was told that there is a law in Florida that states that you can break a lease by giving a 45 day notice. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Please let me know asap.

View more questions Search