Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chocolatecats Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Why is scociety so biased, and focuses only on physical features ?
    So I'm just a normal human being like everyone else. I have a heart, lungs ,ects... I just came across this problem. Scociety tends to focus on looks, and the negatives . For example you see a fat, short, balding woman walking towards you at the store, and you think "oh my, she is so unattactive" then you see that instead of walking towards you she walks past you and goes to a man. He hugs and kisses her. Could it be her father? Or husband? Whoever that man may be he obviously loves her for who she is. I also noticed that not only do children and teens do these things,but adults as well. I've over heard people talk about others. My mother is guilty of doing that. I admit to being guilty of doing so. I am a human too, I do judge others at first sight. But I try my best to look past that and get to know someone. I have been hurt , judged , called names.it was pretty bad at one point in my life I cut myself and had all these negative thoughts in my head. I would cry my eyes out wishing against hope that one day I would just wake up and be considered "attractive". I am very grateful to have had siblings and family comfort me. That experience thought me that humans are who we are... all of us judge. We are not perfect. I just wonder... why are we this way?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Most people really are not like that, or if they are, it is merely minor gossip but easily change their opinions when they get to know someone. Most adults will date and marry people because of looks.

Now as in food, some like darker, some lighter, but normally it is personallity that makes the difference.

I think you are over typing people with some first impressions of people they never talk to , just see in passing, when "looks" is all one has to start an opinion.

Jul 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Most people really are not like that, or if they are, it is merely minor gossip but easily change their opinions when they get to know someone. Most adults will date and marry people because of looks.

Now as in food, some like darker, some lighter, but normally it is personallity that makes the difference.

I think you are over typing people with some first impressions of people they never talk to , just see in passing, when "looks" is all one has to start an opinion.
    Thank you for your reply , I will keep it in mind
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
    I was watching the "March of Nations" during the opening ceremonies for the Olympics and remarked to my son at how beautiful the women were and how handsome the men, no matter what country they were from or what color they were. Then, like Fr_Chuck says, go over to Walmart and watch the people come and go from the store. I could probably count on two hands the people who are fit and beautiful (and that might be stretching it).

And yet every one of those people at Walmart probably has a partner or lover or spouse and probably children. Looks are only MAYBE what attracts us to each other, although other qualities do too.

Jul 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
    [quote=Wondergirl;3214881]I was watching the "March of Nations" during the opening ceremonies for the Olympics and remarked to my son at how beautiful the women were and how handsome the men, no matter what country they were from or what color they were. Then, like Fr_Chuck says, go over to Walmart and watch the people come and go from the store. I could probably count on two hands the people who are fit and beautiful (and that might be stretching it).

And yet every one of those people at Walmart probably has a partner or lover or spouse and probably children. Looks are only MAYBE what attracts us to each other, although other qualities do too.[quote]

That was touching , thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biased landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Two of my neighbors are buying homes and needed to move two weeks into the month. They paid for the two months they stayed. On the same day I call to see if I could move two weeks into the month and pay for the two weeks. The secretary said oh I don't see why not we do that all the time and we just...

Directrix&focuses in parabola [ 1 Answers ]

parabola Find the eqn: of the parabola whose focus is (3,-4) & directrix is x-y+5=0 ? help me

Focuses of real estate law [ 1 Answers ]

What are some of the main focuses in Real Estate Law?

Statistics and biased quotas [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I'm graded at my job by how much I sell in seven categories. We lose points when we miss quota, and gain points when we beat quota, weekly. My scores fluctuate wildly, because I'm part-time and only make 20 sales a week, where full-timers make 200 or so sales per week. So, my bosses...

View more questions Search