Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lousyjack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:35 AM
    F1 to H1 . The delimma continues
    Tax experts,

I read a similar post submitted last year, but my situation is slightly more complicated.

1. on F1 since 2002
    2. Status changed to H1 on Feb 1 2006 (was on OPT part of 2005 and Jan 2006)
    3. Indian resident

Granted, I'll be filing as a resident alien.

My issue- Can I claim the standard deduction granted to indian students ($5150 for 2006)? No I did not make $5150 in Jan 2006 (I wish I did! )

I'm pretty sure I can't claim the whole deduction, but can I claim anything at all. If yes, how much?

Thanks

Mar 5, 2007, 01:18 AM
    I just read another similar post which actually confuses me even more.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...-f1-19298.html

Though a Form 8843 is technically required, in their mind, requiring a Form 8843 for five days is simply not worth the trouble. The IRS has bigger issues to deal with than requiring you to account for five days.

I have a month to account for. Do I need to file as a dual resident? (which I would hate to do)
    But If so, again, what would be my standard deductions?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Yes, you MUST file as a dual-status alien UNLESS you are married.

Yes, as an Indian citizen, you can claim the standard deduction, which is $5,150.

Mar 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Thanks for replying.
    I read pub 519 last night.
    I can file for the first year choice right? Can I qualify for this?
    Yes, I can show being a resident alien for 2007 (in a couple of days I will)

So if I file as a dual status resident, how does my w2 get split?
    Thanks again

Mar 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
    I'm still single...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 12:09 PM
    On a dual-status return, all the taxes are calculated and paid on the Form 1040. The money earned while under F-1 is reported on Form 1040NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water continues to trickle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing the water diverter in the hall bath. To do so, I have to cut the existing copper pipes (Which have no direct shut-off valve attached) and sweat on new ones. I've turned off the water shut off at the front of the house, not at the street, the hot water outlet on the water heater, and...

Dual Zone vs Programmable Thermostat Delimma [ 1 Answers ]

My two-story home in Virginia has one thermostat controlling natural gas heat on the main level and a second thermostat controlling a heat pump upstairs. I have been warned against installing a programmable thermostat upstairs (may actually increase the heating costs for a heat pump), but am I o.k....

Stucco continues to fall off [ 2 Answers ]

On the North side of my house the stucco continues to fall off. I had the whole house restuccoed 4 year ago and since then I've had 4 different companies try to repair. The area is approx 12 x 15 where the stucco won't stick. There used to be a water softener on that side of the house where a...

Moidem continues to dial ot [ 1 Answers ]

>:( Why does my system keep trying to dial out after I log off the internet. I know this is simple but I juist cannot get it to quite doing this..

View more questions Search