Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snprasanna Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2004, 11:00 PM
    DSL Download problem...
    In one of my Friends PC I face the following problem.
    He has a DSL cable connection, When he tries to connect to Yahoo Mails the System slows down & the Cable connection Properities say 10.0Mbps,send & Receive packets says 1,908 & 1,008 rspectively & doesnot move beyond that value even after 1 hours... The same happens for Hotmail also. But his Yahoo messenger works properly... If I ping the Server it shows that the ping is passing.
    I want to know if this problem is with PC or the DSL connection.
    How to check if the DSL connection is really 10.0Mbps? From His PC, I am suspecting that DSL provider is cheating us...
    He has a P3 1.1Ghz, 256MB RAM, Windows 2000 SP4, with Realtex LAn card.

Would appreciate if I can get an answer fast...
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 31, 2004, 12:18 AM
    I doubt he has a 10mbps DSL connection. That kind of bandwidth is only available at very high prices.

3mbps would be nearer the mark.

The number you are seeing is probably the speed of the connection between the LAN card and his router, or, in some cases, directly to his DSL modem. Most LAN cards can operate at 10mbps or 100mbps. A computer like that would never ship with an older 10mbps card, so you really should see "100mbps" in that status box.

However, even if the connection between the computer and the router is only 10mbps, it won't matter because you probably don't have DSL faster than 10mbps.

If Yahoo messenger is working, there are packets being sent back and forth...
    If you can ping the outside, there are ICMP packets being thrown around...

Now you said when you went to yahoo-mail, the system slowed down. Do you mean his computer was actually less responsive in all aspects?

My educated guess would be your DSL is fine, but there is a configuration problem somewhere...

I can't give you an exact answer, but here are some ideas:
    Check IE's connection settings. Maybe it is set to "terminate" when the connection is idle.. Or maybe that is a stupid idea...

You could try a different browser, like mozilla.

Dec 31, 2004, 04:21 AM
    The rest of the systems still works , I can open another Website in another window, but again here it takes time to load the page but better tha YAhoo.com. I can run Norton Antivirus prg etc...

Hope some one will help out...

WISHING ALL WHO THIS A HAPPY & SAFE NEW YEAR 2005...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2004, 04:36 AM
    Dsl
    Hi,
    Call your DSL Cable HelpDesk. Tell them the problem.
    It is probably in your computer's configuration.
    Internet Explorer will work fine with what you have; but it must be configured correctly.
    Happy New Year to you, too,
    fredg

Dec 31, 2004, 04:51 AM
    Fredg,
    Is there any default IE Configs which We can try first before we call him??
    I am planning to vist DSL Office tomorrow...
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 31, 2004, 02:53 PM
    I don't have IE in front of me, but you could search around in "Internet Options" to see if you can find anything related to connection timeouts...

Mar 2, 2005, 11:45 PM
    Hi All,
    I solved this problem by repairing the OS by re-loading the same.
    Thanks to all of you who offered your advice & help... Appreciate it...
    Regards... S N Prasanna

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to download [ 18 Answers ]

Hi , We find few music album sites, wherein we can just play the music online. What needs to be done if we want to download the music and save them into our local drive. I tried doing that, but always end up with saving as "Html" or "Real Player Presentation" format and cannot be played...

How to download music [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please give me a "site" that I can read about how to download music onto a CD. I'm not very good on the computer... Thanks "Ken"

Can't download ANYTHING! [ 13 Answers ]

My computer has just recovered from a problem in which was solved by the removing of display drivers. While I doubt that shouldn't affect my downloading, I can't think of anything that is wrong with my computer for it to be as such. Now I can't even download new drivers. I need help!! :( ...

Download [ 1 Answers ]

Can you download all material on a hotmaill account in one go onto a c.d and how please.

Files download [ 1 Answers ]

How can I download a sound file(only de sound) from an e-postacard?

View more questions Search