Ask
    antgam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Can IRS take back pay from SSI?
    If you have a tax lien will or can IRS take back pay etc or stop your ssi
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
    If there is a huge back payment of SSI or any other Social Security, they CAN and WILL confiscate a portion of that payment to satisfy any back taxes that are owed. Any argument that the money is needed to maintain a appropriate standard of living would be hard to make because you are currently living without the money.

However, monthly SSI payments are a different matter. If you can show that these payments are necessary for your survival, i.e. they are your only income and are needed to pay for rent, utilities and food, the IRS cannot touch it. However, YOU must be pro-active and PROVE that the SSI is needed for your survival.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the IRS keep my back pay for Social Security Disability If I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I owe back federal taxes of approximately $13,000.00. I have a back payment of approximately $20.000.00 coming from Social Security Disability. How much money will the IRS keep of this money if any, and will they notify me before hand

Do child support take your ssi back pay? [ 1 Answers ]

Can child support take your ssi back pay

I owe the IRS $3,769.47 in back taxes from before the year 2000 and now I am on ssi [ 1 Answers ]

I owe the IRS $3,769.47 in back taxes from before the year 2000 and now I am on SSI and I am barely making ends meet. Please help, I don't know what to do.

SSI back pay [ 3 Answers ]

I live in calif and I have a large sum of ssi backpay. Social security has turned it over to the county medical services to take any monies I owe them. Is there alimit as to how much they can take?? Or can they take it all??

View more questions Search