Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    opietaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
    Verbal wishes for cremated remains
    My former stepfather who I've always considered my father (and likewise) verbally asked me to bring his remains to Florida to be put at sea with his mother and father's remains (who were laid there years before). Because my former stepfather's girlfriend (possibly common-law, were never legally married but had a commitment of love ceremony) gave written consent that I could pick up the remains and death certificates, I have them. I have since learned she had his will and policies rewritten and rebeneficiaried in the week or so up until his death. He was in home with hospice and then in actual hospice because of end-stage lung cancer and not in the state of mind to do any of that. Anyway, I'm afraid if I carry out his wishes with his ashes, she could sue me over it. Can she?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
    Yes, you have no legal rights to do anything, Verbal wishes has no value. It needed to be in writing. Have you talked to her yet ?
    opietaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, you have no legal rights to do anything, Verbal wishes has no value. It needed to be in writing. Have you talked to her yet ?
    Before the drama of the will reveal, we had spoken and were all in agreement over this. Verbally, of course. I'm realizing now everything has to be in writing. But it was discussed and agreed on, but now I'm afraid she will change her mind just to be vengeful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The differences between verbal and non-verbal skills [ 1 Answers ]

The differences between verbal and non-verbal skills

While my boyfriend was getting cremated my son took a sharp down his arm [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend died of lung cancer I knew him over24 years dating off and on my boyfriend Could be my son real father.his last living day we took a paternal test that night he die.before he past I told him to give me a sign if he found out in heaven.so on the day of his cremation at 3 oclock my...

Death and the cremated ashes [ 1 Answers ]

How long does ittake from sremation to actually being given the deceased person ashes?

View more questions Search