Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jmart88 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
    12 hp Briggs and stratton won't start
    I have a craftsman lawn tractor that was given to me when I got it it wouldn't run so I ran some tests and found that the carb was very green and dirty so I replaced the float bowl, needle , gaskets , nozzle etc. Also replaced filters and fuel line after words it fired right up ran great I parked it in the garage and the next mourning it wouldn't start.. I went out and bought a brand new battery today installed it and it fired right up again! Left it maybe 2 hours and now it don't start I mean nothing seems like the battery's dead. Any ideas tips please help
    joey4029 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmart88 View Post
    I have a craftsman lawn tractor that was given to me when I got it it wouldn't run so I ran some tests and found that the carb was very green and dirty so I replaced the float bowl, needle , gaskets , nozzle ect. Also replaced filters and fuel line after words it fired right up ran great I parked it in the garage and the next mourning it wouldn't start ..I went out and bought a brand new battery today installed it and it fired right up again! Left it maybe 2 hours and now it don't start I mean nothing seems like the battery's dead .? Any ideas tips please help
    Try the safety switch under the seat,or
    A bad/loose terminal,or
    You left the lights /key on somehow and the battery really is dead

Jul 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
    Tractor will start if the battery is fully charged I started it up with the fully charged battery left it for an hour came back and nothing no juice in the battery what else could it be the key was off?? Help
    joey4029 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Fully charge battery.. water level OK?
    Then start it up
    Then shut off
    Then unhook battery
    Then come back in an hour hook up battery
    ,see if still starts,and I'm thinking it won't

Just because the battery is new ,it doesn't mean it is any good

Also,maybe a defective solenoid ?
    Are you sure the battery is dead afrer an hour?
    Try tapping on the start solenoid with a screwdriver

Jul 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Ok so after starting the mower I in hooked the battery waited till the next mourning and it started right back up water level and battery are good. Also just changed the fuse and fuse holder?? Solinoid how can I test that
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Jul 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Sounds like an electrical short, grounding out the battery, causing it to drain it's charge.

Jul 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
    An electrical short? That makes sense so I should go threw all my wiring and connections and also check the starter brushes?

Jul 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
    There is a small black wire shorted that comes from the fly wheel this was the problem where is the wire going? To the magnet? Thanks for all the replies huge help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

Briggs and stratton v twin won't start [ 1 Answers ]

24 hp briggs and stratton v twin won't start. There is no spark to the plugs

14.5 HP Briggs and Stratton won't start [ 0 Answers ]

I broke a piston rod on my 14.5 briggs and straton riding mower, and after repairing it, found it won't start. Gas seems to come up through the air filter and none seems to be getting to the plug. Did I install something wrong when putting it back together or is something else wrong. Please...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

View more questions Search