Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbspeterlee Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
    File Tax Return with Nonresident Alien Spouse
    I am a tax resident alien. I've been in the US for 3 times, and I'm still in the US.
    • 2006, J-1, 11 weeks
    • 2007~2008, J-1, 1 year
    • 2010 ~ now, H1B, more than two years

Assume I'm married today (July 26, 2012) and in the US, but my wife is NOT in the US, she is NOT a US citizen or resident alien.

My wife wants to move to stay with me some day after December 31, 2012 (that is in 2013). Please see the other question: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/immigr...us-670145.html

My wife does NOT even have an SSN.

So when I file my tax in Feb/Mar/Apr (before April 15, 2013) for 2012 tax:

1. Can I file my tax together with my wife as "Married Filing Jointly"?

2. If I can, how can I get the her SSN for tax purpose, since she is not in the US?

3. She is working in another country, and she is paying tax in that country, so how can I report her income? (She does NOT have a W-2 form).

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
    1) Yes, you CAN file jointly; your wife's physical location is irrelevant.

2) No, she will have to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) by submitting Form W-7 with the joint return by mail.

3) Using her pay slips, you will report her wages on Line #7 of Form 1040 and submit Form 2555 to claim Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am a nonresident alien. I live in Russia and my employer is a company in New Zealand. They want to pay me with paypal. Unfortunately, it is impossible to withdraw money from russian paypal account. Happily, I have a US paypal account and US bank account linked to it. So I can...

High tax return during nonresident to resident alien transition [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I am an Italian Researcher (J1-Visa) immigrated in the US on November 2008. My wife immigrated on the same date (J2) and she does not work. We filed as nonresident aliens for 2009, but it is my understanding that we are both resident aliens from January 1 2010, and my intention is to...

Does my non resident alien spouse have to file a tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a U.S. citizen who has not lived permanently in the U.S. since the age of 4. I have only just found out that in order to sponsor my UK daughter for a visa, I need to file at least 3 years' worth of tax returns to IRS. I've found everything I've read so confusing. My spouse is a...

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

Filing tax return - nonresident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Someone, please help me. I have spent my whole day trying to figure out how to file a federal income tax filing. It was very frustrating. I am on a F-1 visa and a national of Republic of Korea (South Korea). Q1. Last year, I received scholarship. It is a qualified education...

View more questions Search