Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Tolerance, the Chicago way
    A Chicago Alderman told Chik-Fil-A they weren't welcome in Chicago because their well known Christian values such as closing on Sundays and supporting traditional marriage - in spite of the fact they do not discriminate in hiring or serving their customers - don't fit in with the inclusive, oh-so-tolerant Chicago way.

If you are discriminating against a segment of the community, I don't want you in the 1st Ward," Moreno told the Tribune on Tuesday.

Moreno stated his position in strong terms, referring to Cathy's "bigoted, homophobic comments" in a proposed opinion page piece that an aide also sent to Tribune reporters. "Because of this man's ignorance, I will now be denying Chick-fil-A's permit to open a restaurant in the 1st Ward."
    The mayor of Chicago, a Jew, concurred.

The alderman has the ideological support of Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

"Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values," the mayor said in a statement when asked about Moreno's decision. "They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty."
    Guess who IS welcome in Chicago however, that famous anti-Semite Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

Ignoring Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan’s history of anti-Semitic remarks, Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday welcomed the army of men dispatched to the streets by Farrakhan to stop the violence in Chicago neighborhoods.

“People of faith have a role to play and community leaders have a role to play in helping to protect our neighborhoods and our citizens. You cannot get there on just one piece of an anti-crime strategy,” the mayor said.
    People of faith have a role unless you're a Christian that opposes gay marriage wanting to open a non-discriminating business that is. Other anti-Semitic people of faith who oppose gay marriage? No problem.

Reminder: Louis Farrakhan Blasted Obama for Endorsing Same-Sex Marriage

Using government force to punish a Christian for opposing same sex marriage while welcoming an anti-Semite who also opposes same sex marriage is just a tad hypocritical. No?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
    And of course if we wanted to boycott Chicago for treating them that way, what names would we be called.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
    Once they taste that chicken and waffle fries ,they will change their mind.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
    I guess Chik-a-wahtever has a PR issue on their hands. Let's see how they handle it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I guess Chik-a-wahtever has a PR issue on their hands. Let's see how they handle it.
    They are falling all over themselves to say that they serve everyone, even gays, and OMG! Even hire them -- and oh, forget what CEO Cathy said.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    They are falling all over themselves to say that they serve everyone, even gays, and OMG! even hire them -- and oh, forget what CEO Cathy said.
    It's a tempest of their own making, that's for sure.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
    I couldn't have imagined this response any more accurately. Chik-Fil-A evil, anti-Semitic, gay marriage hating Farrakhan... crickets chirping.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
    Sure, you're entitled to your opinion. I guess some of us don't get as dramatic or enraged all the time.
    Some of us just like to sashay around and buy doggie glasses for our pets. :-)
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 08:02 AM
    The mayor of Boston had taken a similar stand... and then backed off. We don't have any of their franchises here... but I suspect it has something to do with the size of the soft drinks.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Believe it or not there was a point to this discussion as indicate by the OP:

Using government force to punish a Christian for opposing same sex marriage while welcoming an anti-Semite who also opposes same sex marriage is just a tad hypocritical. No?
    Yes or no? Take the doggy glasses off and maybe you'll see the hypocrisy - or not. Which is it?
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The mayor of Boston had taken a simular stand ... and then backed off. We don't have any of their franchises here ....but I suspect it has something to do with the size of the soft drinks.
    And most things are fried. It's worth it to have the occasional just made chicken biscuit for breakfast or a sandwich with two pickles and some of those waffle fries. Damn good stuff.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Oddly enough, Bloomberg declared Chik-Fil-A welcome in NYC. I guess he needed something to try and distract from his suggestion for a nationwide police strike.

P.S. Crickets still chirping over the Chicago hypocrisy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
    RIP to Don Perry, the long-time head of Chick-fil-A's public relations department ;who died today unexpectedly from a heart attack. I'm sure the pressure from the liberal jihad had nothing to do with it.

Oh yeah... when Obama was on the fence about gay marriage ,or took a position opposing it... did Rhambo Imanuel or Chi town boycott him ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    RIP to Don Perry, the long-time head of Chick-fil-A's public relations department ;who died today unexpectedly from a heart attack. I'm sure the pressure from the liberal jihad had nothing to do with it.

Oh yeah... when Obama was on the fence about gay marriage ,or took a position opposing it ...did Rhambo Imanuel or Chi town boycott him ?
    They waited for him to evolve.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

If that was what they were doing, sure.. But, it ain't.. I don't know how you missed it. They're using their government MOUTHPIECE - not government FORCE.

One they can and SHOULD do. The other they can't.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

If that was what they were doing, sure.. But, it ain't.. I dunno how you missed it. They're using their government MOUTHPIECE - not government FORCE.

One they can and SHOULD do. The other they can't.

excon
    Rahm has since walked it back after Bloomberg's stance and Obama's backtracking today but you really should read my sources. The Chicago alderman wanted to use government force, i.e. the law to strong arm Chik-Fil-A. Your spin doesn't change that.

Really ex, you used to not be so easily taken. I still say it's panic over the likelihood of an Obama loss. You've abandoned reason out of desperation.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Hello again, Steve:

On another thread, you suggested that Texans SHOULD be able to tell their visitors HOW to behave... Why can't Rahm do the same thing?

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
    It's a case of you'all need to learn to behave, and the place to start is solving your problems without guns
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    P.S. Crickets still chirping over the Chicago hypocrisy.
    Sorry mate, I was out climbing a high peak in my area with my son (boys weekend) while my daughter relaxed at the in-laws watching the Olympics. What were you doing this weekend?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
    In today's Chicago Sun-Times:

On Wednesday August 1st, Mike Huckabee's Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day, Hearty will be hosting Chick-Fil-Gay Appreciation Day.

The Lakeview eatery will be serving fried chicken breast sandwiches on toasted buttered buns with pickles and a side of fried for $10.

All of the proceeds, 100%, will go to Equality Illinois for marriage equality.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tolerance & Love [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I have a research about relation of LOVE & TOLERANCE SO,Can you help me?

Capacitor tolerance [ 11 Answers ]

My harbor breeze celing fan is not working. All of parts of the fan (switch, reverse switch, etc.) all check out fine. This fan/motor has 3 caps in cased in a black sealed box. The values of the three caps are 3.5, 4 and another 4uf cap. The cap lists a +/- 5% tolerance and I measure 3.25, 3.65,...

Why is the University of Chicago blocking access to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge? [ 33 Answers ]

See this interesting article by Stanley Kurtz in National Review Online: Stanley Kurtz on Barack Obama, Bill Ayers & Chicago Annenberg Challenge on National Review Online "When Obama made his first run for political office, articles in both the Chicago Defender and the Hyde Park Herald featured...

Beyond Tolerance to Inclusion? [ 3 Answers ]

A dozen Sandia National Laboratories employees recently objected to an announcement for a workshop titled "White Privilege and Diversity" at their upcoming "Beyond Tolerance to Inclusion" conference. At least the intolerant idiots at the University of Delaware have some company. I think it...

Religious Tolerance [ 69 Answers ]

In general, who are more tolerant of differing religious views--Protestants or Catholics?

View more questions Search