Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gillie62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Guardian angels
    What are Guardian angels and who is mine?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Ok, not sure where you are going with this, but they are angels who are here to help us, and we don't know the names of most angels just a few mentioned in the bible.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Speaking from a Roman Catholic teaching about Guardian Angels - That every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church, and is, consequently, not an article of faith; but it is the "mind of the Church", as St. Jerome expressed it: "how great the dignity of the soul, since each one has from his birth an angel commissioned to guard it." (Comm. In Matt. xviii, lib. II).

The idea of Guardian Angels has been held by Romans, Pagans, Babylonians, Assyrians, etc. throughout history. In the Holy Bible, this doctrine is clearly discernible and its development is well marked. In Genesis 28-29, angels not only act as the executors of God's wrath against the cities of the plain, but they deliver Lot from danger; in Exodus 12-13, an angel is the appointed leader of the host of Israel, and in 32:34, God says to Moses: "my angel shall go before thee." At a much later period we have the story of Tobias, which might serve for a commentary on the words of Psalm 90:11: "For he hath given his angels charge over thee; to keep thee in all thy ways." (Cf. Psalm 33:8 and 34:5) Lastly, in Daniel 10 angels are entrusted with the care of particular districts; one is called "prince of the kingdom of the Persians", and Michael is termed "one of the chief princes"; cf. Deuteronomy 32:8 (Septuagint); and Ecclesiasticus 17:17 (Septuagint).

In the New Testament the doctrine is stated with greater precision. Angels are everywhere the intermediaries between God and man; and Christ set a seal upon the Old Testament teaching: "See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 18:10). A twofold aspect of the doctrine is here put before us: even little children have guardian angels, and these same angels lose not the vision of God by the fact that they have a mission to fulfil on earth.

In the New Testament where the doctrine of guardian angels is suggested, it may suffice to mention the angel who succoured Christ in the garden, and the angel who delivered St. Peter from prison. Hebrews 1:14 puts the doctrine in its clearest light: "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent to minister for them, who shall receive the inheritance of salvation?" This is the function of the guardian angels; they are to lead us, if we wish it, to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Who is your personal Guardian Angel? I believe that we do not just have one - I believe each Guardian Angel attends to us, in a very specific time of need and petition.

The Wikpedia Encyclopedia's website has some wonderful information on Guardian Angels:

Guardian angel (spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

City of Angels [ 9 Answers ]

I just wanted to know who has since the city of angels movie starring nicolas cage and meg ryan? I saw it when it originally came out and was indifferent to it, however I watched the movie before the super bowl and now I can't stop thinking of how great a movie it really was. I believe its one of...

Legal guardian after 18 [ 2 Answers ]

I was given permanent custody of one of my daughters friends who was a teenager. Now that she is 19 what is my legal relationship to her? Can she still list me as next of kin for medical issues.

Charlie's Angels [ 5 Answers ]

What is the song that Eric Knox plays on his audio box when lighting up his cigerette before trying to kill drew barrymoores character?

Generator for the house, Guardian? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I asked this question a long time ago, but it seems that I'm finally going to give in and buy one. I thought I could get away with just a portable generator, but after Wilma blew through South Florida, my house will not have power back until November 15th. Luckily, the weather is...

L.A. Angels [ 1 Answers ]

Sirs: My question is about a member of MLB called Vladimir Guerrero. I understand that He is from the Dominican Republic. I was wondering who His parents were, as it seems to be an unusual first name for a Spanish speaking country! It sounds like a Russian name to me or maybe...

View more questions Search