Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vonnie3791 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 07:19 AM
    42" 1080 TV won't power up
    Tv gets red light on, then blue light shines, fades out and turns off, unable to power up the TV. I've tried unplugging, pressing power button on TV etc, nothing works.

Jul 26, 2012, 07:30 AM
    I should say my TV is 42" Hitachi 1080hd :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Most failures I see on Flat screens is the Capacitors on the Power Board, where the cord plug into.
    Many can be seen bulging and not test equipment is necessary to further test.
    If confident you can dissemble and reassemble. Can't hurt to look.

Jul 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Many Thanks, we're not very good with electrical things, is this something that a repair guy could fix?
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
    They would have to be able to dissemble and reassemble, and to desolder and resolder Capacitors.
    Many videos on YouTube.
    Try "Cap replacemnt on flat screen".
    I don't know if I seen one using what I think works well, is a Desoldering Iron from Radio Shack.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Free 40" Samsung Flat Screen - TV FIX - YouTube
    I tried the search and that is what I came up with.
    Will see if I can find the desoldering iron. Back in a minute.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Here is a video of the desoldering iron in action.
    Take note the rotating of the lead while heating up and removing, helps to get solder from all around the lead.
    TV Repair Desoldering made EZ - YouTube
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 01:13 PM
    What's the model number of the Hitachi? I haven't seen any Hitachi sets with bad caps on the power supply. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that this is not the cause of the problem (just means I haven't seen it).
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
    I figured for someone with limited knowledge may be able to SEE a bulging cap, and they don't have to pay someone.
    If not a fuse or cap, they will need a Manual, or Pay someone.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I figured for someone with limited knowlege may be able to SEE a bulging cap, and they don't have to pay someone.
    If not a fuse or cap, they will need a Manual, or Pay someone.
    True. I was curious of the model since I know some of the Hitachi sets have problems with the power supplies (but if I recall correctly it required the whole board to be replaced as there was a new version). I could be remembering incorrectly though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"expanding" a receptacle with a power strip--what are the limitations? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a utility room into a pantry/kitchen extension. The room has one standard double receptacle low down on the wall intended for plugging in a washing machine. I want receptacles at counter height for the new configuration. I would like to have at least 4 receptacles to plug in a...

Can "Superposition Theorem" be applied to find power in a circuit? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Superposition Theorem can be applied to find power in a circuit?

Press power button on my mitsibuishi 1080 HD TV, green light comes on and shuts off. [ 0 Answers ]

When I press the power button on my mitsubuishi 1080 HD TV, green light comes on and shuts right off. Remote control is not responding.

My monitor is black with message, "in save power mode." [ 1 Answers ]

My monitor comes on but then screen goes black. When I press the button on the front there is a message "running in power save mode, press any key or move mouse If I press a key or move the mouse, nothing happens. The screen stays black. What does this mean and can I do anything to fix it? ...

View more questions Search