Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sometimesmoker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
    I smoke marijuana and did a hair follicle test, it came back negative, why?
    I smoke a hit or two a day, maybe... I did a follicle test and it came back negative. I would assume that even though it's only a few hits a day it is still frequently enough to show a positive. What gives?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 04:05 AM
    One hit a day? Most likely very poor level pot, along with almost no intake with one hit.
    Honestly one hit will not have any effect and is a real waste of your time, money.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimesmoker View Post
    I smoke a hit or two a day, maybe... I did a follicle test and it came back negative. I would assume that even though it's only a few hits a day it is still frequently enough to show a positive. What gives?
    The main reason is that hair is a very poor medium for detecting THC metabolites. Far less apt to detect infrequent and low level cannabis use than urine drug testing.

It may ultimately incorporate into your hair in sufficient quantity to be detected simply due to accumulation or it may not as even chronic heavy users are detected at only around 60%.

Hair drug testing is also heavily influenced by ethnicity and hair color.

Doesn't correspond with the claims of commercial testing labs in promoting the procedure but is well documented.

Ref.
    “Basic drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamine concentrate in hair due to ionic bonding to melanin, the pigment in hair that determines hair color. The more neutral and lipophilic THC is not strongly bound to melanin, resulting in much lower concentrations of THC in hair as compared to other drugs of abuse. " [183-186].
    Marilyn A. Huestis (2007) Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics. Chem Biodivers. 2007 August; 4(8): 1770–1804. Sec 3.5

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marijuana in a hair follicle test [ 16 Answers ]

My son has never done any type of drugs before, he went to the beach this past summer and tried Marijuana. He said he only took 3 puffs and never tried it again. It has been about 75 days and he has to have a hair follicle drug test, would that be enough to show up in it? He is so worried.

Any way to pass hair follicle test for marijuana [ 5 Answers ]

I have to take hair follicle drug test is there anything I can do to cover marijuana

Will being around marijuana show up in a hair follicle test if not smoking it yourself? [ 7 Answers ]

My ex smokes marijuana and I'm trying to get a really good job, so I don't want to be around him smoking it because I'm scared it will be found in the hair follicle drug test this employer uses. But, I miss hanging out with my friends because they also are avid pot smokers. Can I be around others...

Hair follicle test for marijuana. Results were 0.7pg/mg. What does that mean? [ 2 Answers ]

How often did they smoke? How much? How far does a hair follicle test go back?

Marijuana, hair follicle test will he pass [ 3 Answers ]

My son has to take a hair follicle in mid January he was in a rehab for 7 months and got out in sept. he relapsed but did not smoke much maybe a blunt and couple joints from what I understand but nothing since beginning of December will it show up:(

View more questions Search