Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kawaiichan Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 PM
    Flatten belly
    I want to flatten my belly because I feel embarrassed to wear a bikini with a huge tum-tum. I'm not much for exercise since my body gets tired easily. I checked my weight and I'm at a 100 lbs, around 5'3. I checked online to see what my ideal weight was and surprised to see that I'm actually underweight, but my belly has a lot of fat! I feel like my belly gathers all the fat because my legs and arms are fine. What do I do?
    ali18ninja Posts: 159, Reputation: 16

Jul 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
    Well fat loss is simple. Calorie restricted diet and exercise. It all boils down to calorie restriction though. If you could burn all the calories you consume and more in a day without exercise, then you wouldn't need to exercise. But it's damn hard to pull that off. If you want to burn the fat off your stomach, build a diet around fruits, vegetables, and healthy proteins- simple things like tuna, lean meat/chicken, etc. Fruits and veggies have plenty of fiber and are extremely low on calories so you can eat a lot and feel full without consuming a whole bunch of calories. You need protein to rebuild muscle and your body works harder to digest protein so you burn more calories. COUNT your calories for every meal. Look on the nutrition label and see how much one serving of what you're eating is. Don't eat anything boxed or processed. Eat whole foods. In other words, eat foods that are as close to being in their natural state as possible. Keep the calories at about 1500 per day and AT LEAST take 30 min walks every day. The more exercise you do the better but don't expect to burn that fat off without diet. If you don't work at it then expect to keep that belly. Getting leaner is no easy feat and if it was, everyone that wanted to be lean, would be lean. So work at it and the results will pay off.
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Jul 26, 2012, 01:13 AM
    Ok Beans, eggs farm raised, nuts that aren't salted or with oil, Oatmeal for breakfest , Berries. These foods help burn stomach fat add them to your diet. I don't like running so for thin stomach+rock hard abs I do jack knife sit ups its short workout. Just do as many as you can then come back in 45 sec and do a few more(Short rest so it will be cardiovascular/muscular at the same time.

Jul 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamed View Post
    Ok Beans, eggs farm raised, nuts that arent salted or with oil, Oatmeal for breakfest , Berries. These foods help burn stomach fat add them to your diet. I dont like running so for thin stomach+rock hard abs i do jack knife sit ups its short workout. Just do as many as you can then come back in 45 sec and do a few more(Short rest so it will be cardiovascular/muscular at the same time.
    If you had any real knowledge of how to burn fat you would know that there is no such thing as "fat burning foods". You're giving her misinformation thinking there's shortcuts to burning fat. There's also no such thing as an exercise that burns stomach fat. You need a calorie restricted diet and exercise to burn off all the calories and more. The body then burns fat when it runs out of calories to burn. If your method works for you that's great. But she isn't you and her metabolism doesn't work like yours.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ali18ninja View Post
    If you had any real knowledge of how to burn fat you would know that there is no such thing as "fat burning foods". You're giving her misinformation thinking there's shortcuts to burning fat. There's also no such thing as an exercise that burns stomach fat. You need a calorie restricted diet and exercise to burn off all the calories and more. The body then burns fat when it runs out of calories to burn. If your method works for you that's great. But she isn't you and her metabolism doesn't work like yours.

If you "had any real knowledge" you would find three reliable sources that disagree with you - here's one of them: Foods That Burn Fat: Fuel Your Fat-Burning Furnance | Women's Health Magazine
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Pick some tummy work outs on Google and go for the burn with your abs, or get yourself a good cd for abs only. You don't have to diet with your weight the way it is.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
    Ok Beans, eggs farm raised, nuts that arent salted or with oil, Oatmeal for breakfest , Berries. These foods help burn stomach fat add them to your diet. I dont like running so for thin stomach+rock hard abs i do jack knife sit ups its short workout. Just do as many as you can then come back in 45 sec and do a few more(Short rest so it will be cardiovascular/muscular at the same time.
    I totally agree with this exercise advice!
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I totally agree with this exercise advice!
    Tickle, any thoughts on fat burning foods? I see - now that I've looked - more then 3 seemingly reliable sources that say some foods can "help."

Anything from your end of things?

Jul 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If you "had any real knowledge" you would find three reliable sources that disagree with you - here's one of them: Foods That Burn Fat: Fuel Your Fat-Burning Furnance | Women's Health Magazine
    Do you understand what "fat burning foods" are? I can safely assume you have no education in the nutrition department. There is no such thing as "fat burning" foods. This is a misconception that the majority of people, like yourself, believe in because you lack education in nutrition. Your body burns the fat and these foods that you claim are "fat burning" do not burn fat. Your body just takes longer to digest them which in turn, burns more calories until you have no digested calories to burn so your body burns fat to survive. Here are 3 sources, two of which are ACTUALLY reliable.

Sources: http://www.slideshare.net/dung1412/the-top-fat-burning-foods-discover-the-truth

http://www.centerformedicalweightloss.com/food-and-recipes/food-and-nutrition/fat-burning-foods-do-they-exist/

http://stek.org/nutrition-supplements/diets/the-best-fat-buring-foods/
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Do you understand what "fat burning foods" are? I can safely assume you have no education in the nutrition department. There is no such thing as "fat burning" foods. This is a misconception that the majority of people, like yourself, believe in because you lack education in nutrition. Your body burns the fat and these foods that you claim are "fat burning" do not burn fat. Your body just takes longer to digest them which in turn, burns more calories until you have no digested calories to burn so your body burns fat to survive. Here are 3 sources, two of which are ACTUALLY reliable.

Sources: The Top Fat Burning Foods - Discover the Truth!

Fat-Burning Foods: Do They Exist? - The Center for Medical Weight Loss

The Best Fat Buring Foods | Bodybuilding, Supplements, Diets, Workouts & Fitness Health Magazine

You make a lot of assumptions and guesses on the various AMHD boards, most of which are incorrect.

I don't know that I have an "education" in nutrition. Have I taken classes? Yes. "Education" indicates a degree which I do not have. I was too busy studying law in order to study nutrition in depth.

At any rate what's the difference between "fat burning foods" and foods which take longer to digest and, therefore, your body burns more calories? Purely a difference in language.

I don't understand your attitude - on this same thread you said: "If you had any real knowledge of how to burn fat ..." To me you said, "Do you understand what "Do you understand what " are? I can safely assume you have no education in the nutrition department."

You don't seem to play well with others.

I can safely assume you haven't read the AMHD directions for posting links.

Jul 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
    You make a lot of assumptions and guesses on the various AMHD boards, most of which are incorrect.

I don't know that I have an "education" in nutrition. Have I taken classes? Yes. "Education" indicates a degree which I do not have. I was too busy studying law in order to study nutrition in depth.

At any rate what's the difference between "fat burning foods" and foods which take longer to digest and, therefore, your body burns more calories? Purely a difference in language.

I don't understand your attitude - on this same thread you said: "If you had any real knowledge of how to burn fat ..." To me you said, "Do you understand what "fat burning foods" are? I can safely assume you have no education in the nutrition department."

You don't seem to play well with others.
    I don't always provide accurate information on certain subjects. That we can both agree on. If I lack the knowledge in a certain area I will usually be corrected, which is great for the person needing advice. I'm simply correcting you on a subject you don't have much experience in. I have years of experience with nutrition and I have dedicated half of my life to it. I understand nutrition, what works for me, what doesn't work for me, but more importantly, what works for everyone. Anyone can read an article on some website and learn a thing or two.

"Fat burning foods" are misconceptions led to make people believe they only need to eat these foods to lose fat. It's much more complicated that that. These foods are great to incorporate into a diet but people are led to believe this is all they need. "Purely a difference in language"? That's something critical when it comes to law is it not? Supplement industries use these misconceptions to nudge people to buy their products which aren't necessary.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
    I don't always provide accurate information on certain subjects. That we can both agree on. If I lack the knowledge in a certain area I will usually be corrected, which is great for the person needing advice. I'm simply correcting you on a subject you don't have much experience in. I have years of experience with nutrition and I have dedicated half of my life to it. I understand nutrition, what works for me, what doesn't work for me, but more importantly, what works for everyone. Anyone can read an article on some website and learn a thing or two.

"Fat burning foods" are misconceptions led to make people believe they only need to eat these foods to lose fat. It's much more complicated that that. These foods are great to incorporate into a diet but people are led to believe this is all they need. "Purely a difference in language"? That's something critical when it comes to law is it not? Supplement industries use these misconceptions to nudge people to buy their products which aren't necessary.

I don't know why anyone posts "I think" or "I guess" or "I'm pretty sure" on technical boards has always been beyond me.

And, again, I don't have a DEGREE in nutrition. I have taken classes. Apparently you do have a degree/education. Speaking only for myself I find there are enough questions to answer without correcting a wrong answer and then giving the legal answer. I fail to see how a wrong answer, particularly if the OP reads it and never comes back, helps anyone.

As you said, a little research goes a long way and our research very obviously differs. If I had the time to type in and look at the sites you posted perhaps I'd see why we differ. I don't know that my answer is so factually incorrect that I need "correcting."

We aren't talking about supplements - or at least I wasn't. I also never said - nor did the site I posted say - that that's "all you need."

I don't address people like this: To someone else - "If you had any real knowledge of how to burn fat ..." To me you said, "Do you understand what "fat burning foods" are? I can safely assume you have no education in the nutrition department."

I get it. You're the self-proclaimed expert.

Whether language is critical in law doesn't matter... unless you're posting about law.

EDIT: Rather than post again - my late husband was a brittle diabetic, heart patient with end stage renal disease, on dialysis, 3 heart attacks in 5 years, gout, peripheral neuropathy, retinal neuropathy, and you name what else. Yes, I took classes in nutrition. I can count carbs in my sleep. I can talk nutrition in a coma. As you know because you have a degree in nutrition the cardiac and diabetic recommended diets are polar opposites. Welcome to my World.

Don't attempt to tell me what you can and cannot "safely assume." And when you -ume...

Jul 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
    You have plenty of time to come back to the thread and continue to post when there is no need of posting. You could have simply taken a look at each one of the sites I posted and read a few sentences. They all explain these "fat burning foods" in the first paragraph.

And no, we aren't talking about supplements but you argue that the term "fat burning foods" are a difference in language when this is not so. It's a misconception. If you want to give OP misconceptions, steer her to supplements while you're at it. I was using it as an example to explain why it's not just "a difference in language".

And language should be critical in everything as well as law. I'm not a self-proclaimed expert but I don't reply to a thread if I'm corrected. I stand corrected when I am. You, on the other hand, are driven by pride to get the last word in. You take things more personal than others. If I have experience in a subject that you have little knowledge of, just let it be. You can't be the best at everything.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 01:52 PM
    You have plenty of time to come back to the thread and continue to post when there is no need of posting. You could have simply taken a look at each one of the sites I posted and read a few sentences. They all explain these "fat burning foods" in the first paragraph.

And no, we aren't talking about supplements but you argue that the term "fat burning foods" are a difference in language when this is not so. It's a misconception. If you want to give OP misconceptions, steer her to supplements while you're at it. I was using it as an example to explain why it's not just "a difference in language".

And language should be critical in everything as well as law. I'm not a self-proclaimed expert but I don't reply to a thread if I'm corrected. I stand corrected when I am. You, on the other hand, are driven by pride to get the last word in. You take things more personal than others. If I have experience in a subject that you have little knowledge of, just let it be. You can't be the best at everything.
    For the last time - and a Mod is going to pull this/close this because it's personal bickering - STOP assuming I have "plenty of time," "take things more personal[ly]", am "driven by pride to get the last word in." You keep making assumptions and that's why the word begins with "."

There is "no need OF posting"? Again, I disagree. You "assumed" I had no credentials. I think I do. As I said, not your degree but some experience and education.

I couldn't take a look at the sites you posted because you didn't post any sites!

Your research says it's a myth; mine says it is not.

Okay, it's over.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Tickle, any thoughts on fat burning foods? I see - now that I've looked - more then 3 seemingly reliable sources that say some foods can "help."

Anything from your end of things?
    Judy yes I have some ideas on fat burning and one I surely depend on is getting your metabolism going by NEVER missing breakfast and if you do your workouts in the morning, this is a must. Which is eating according to your activities, then tuck into your lunch. Surely to burn fat, which is basically boosting your metabolism/

Avoid skipping meals - one part of the metabolism equation is the thermic effect of food. Eating more frequently throughout the day can keep that effect going while keeping your blood sugar at even levels. When you get too hungry, you may overeat out of sheer starvation.

Avoid dieting without exercise

I think I got that fat burning sorted out. And, these are rules I follow all the time as a diabetic, I don't skip meals.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Judy yes i have some ideas on fat burning and one I surely depend on is getting your metabolism going by NEVER missing breakfast and if you do your workouts in the morning, this is a must. Which is eating according to your activities, then tuck into your lunch. Surely to burn fat, which is basically boosting your metabolism/

Avoid skipping meals - one part of the metabolism equation is the thermic effect of food. Eating more frequently throughout the day can keep that effect going while keeping your blood sugar at even levels. When you get too hungry, you may overeat out of sheer starvation.

Avoid dieting without exercise

I think I got that fat burning sorted out. And, these are rules I follow all the time as a diabetic, I dont skip meals.

And as a diabetic, you know the "drill."

And now we're back to the meaning of "fat burning."
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
    And as a diabetic, you know the "drill."

And now we're back to the meaning of "fat burning."
    Yes, basically, it is boosting the metabolism with simple steps of not missing three nutritious meals a day and excersizing.
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Jul 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
    OK OK OK Theirs no such exercise to burn stomach fat? I read all your posts were you bicker with Judy who from my experience is one of the most reliable on the site. As far as me not knowing anything on fat loss. I was favored to get a spot on the 2012 olympic team as a boxer (Ended up not trying) furthermore I'm a personal trainer. Most clients are looking to loose weight in specific areas before gain muscle, and I've never had my methods fail. On 100+ clients

Jul 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
    OK OK OK Theirs no such exercise to burn stomach fat? I read all your posts were you bicker with Judy who from my experience is one of the most reliable on the site. As far as me not knowing anything on fat loss. I was favored to get a spot on the 2012 olympic team as a boxer (Ended up not trying) furthermore im a personal trainer. Most clients are looking to loose weight in specific areas before gain muscle, and i've never had my methods fail. On 100+ clients
    No exercise targets a specific area to burn fat. Stomach exercises don't burn the fat off your stomach. There is no such thing as spot reduction. They only place those muscles under stress and builds those muscles up, which burns calories and leads to fat loss, NOT stomach fat loss, just fat loss in general. To lose belly fat you must burn overall body fat. I'm also a personal trainer, used to be a power lifter, and I also served a 6 year term in the National Guard currently serving 2 years IRR. You teach your clients that spot reduction works? Your clients are making progress and you tell them it's spot reduction?Take a look at these websites.

Sources: http://www.flexxbelt.org/do-ab-belts-and-ab-exercises-burn-belly-fat/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maia2.htm

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives11ML3P1A2.html

http://fitnessandexercising.com/does-spot-reduction-work-for-abs-or-doesn%E2%80%99t/
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 03:42 PM
    No exercise targets a specific area to burn fat.

Am I the only person sick of the bickering?

The expert on nutrition is turning this into a pissing contest.

"Well, you were on the Olympics Team but I ..."

Enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Exercises that can flatten my butt! [ 8 Answers ]

Ohla! :) Hey would anyone perhaps know how to get a flatter butt by using exercises? Please I really need some help.Any exercises would be awesome!

How can I flatten my abs? [ 3 Answers ]

I've always had a flat stomach but its not that flat I still have that little fat on the bottom and when I do sit ups and other stomach exercises it just makes my stomach harder not flatter. Can anyone help me please? Maybe I'm eating wrong or doing wrong sit ups whatever it is can someone help...

How can I flatten my thighs [ 4 Answers ]

I have always had big thighs and they have always bothered me. I'm trying to figure out how I can flatten out my quad muscles with exercise. Any advice? Please help!

Need to flatten a pot bottom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6-quart pot that has a wobbly bottom. My husband and I bought the pot when we got married 35 years ago. Anyway, when I cook something in it on our electric solid surface stove, the pot twirls and dances around like crazy. Yesterday, my husband took it outside and beat it down with a rubber...

View more questions Search