Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ungrounded Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Can a disconnected grounding wire affect my major appliances?
    Our grounding wire got severed 8 months ago. About 7 months ago our refrigerator stopped working. We replaced it with a brand new fridge... 3 times! We are about to put in a fourth brand new fridge and I am wondering if the lack of a grounding wire can affect our major appliances, or have we really just purchased every single lemon in our area?

Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
    The ground wire is a safety device. With the exception of modern day florescence light and some electronic devices it is not a part of the circuity.

If you have gone through 3 refrigerators in 7 months you have some other kind of problem. Possible power surges, start looking for a good electrician.

Ground wire should be replaced for safety reasons.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
    I have to ask why you keep replacing the units yourself. Have you had any of the units serviced? If so, what was found to be wrong with them?
    joey4029 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Flip the frig circuit to off and see what other major amp unit also goes off
    Chances are you are sharing the same circuit with another major unit
    Put the refrigerator on a separate dedicated circuit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem gas furnace not turning on, found disconnected wire [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Rheem gas furnace which doesn't power on. I opened up the unit and found what looks like a wire that has been disconnected. Can anyone tell me where this should be plugged back in (if at all?) Pic of what I'm talking about The disconnected wire is red and below where...

The orange wire is disconnected in my white-rodgers thermostat [ 0 Answers ]

I have an "Insider" heat pump with a White-Rodgers 2H/1C Type 1F59-15 thermostat. Today I noticed the a/c wasn't cooling. The temperature was 85 but the thermostat was sitting on 73. I took the cover off the thermostat, blew on it, tapped it a little, jiggled it a little and it came on. While...

I am wiring my ceiling fan with light fixture. One wire appears disconnected? [ 1 Answers ]

There are three wires coming out from the motor housing (which I cannot get to?). A Blue wire, a black wire and a white wire. The white wire appears to have disconnected from the motor housing (which I cannot get to?). Can I still hook up the ceiling fan with this white wire not connected in the...

How to wire 40 amp american appliances(dishwasher and stove) to European 220V [ 1 Answers ]

I suppose that I will need a step-down 220/110V transformer. I bought a 8000Wt one with 3 110V outlets. Does it mean that I have to connect 4 wires of an appliance to 1 positive, 1 positive, 1 neutral and 1 ground wire? What color is neutral? Black?

There is a yellow wire that is disconnected to my 8050 model where does it hook up [ 1 Answers ]

My model 8050 thermostat has a disconnected yellow wire I need to know where to connect it

View more questions Search