Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Homeowner's insurance 'quote' increased 5 weeks later?
    I've owned 4 homes between 1980 and the one I bought May 11. I've never had a company quote a price for a certain coverage, I pay, and then 5 weeks later I get a bill for a lot more, based on what the underwriters decided. This just happened to me twice! First Travelers (which I canceled) and now State Farm.

The house is in good condition, so it's not that. It's not my credit history and I've never filed a claim on house or car. Travelers decided that I owed more based on some hugely inflated value (almost 200K more than I paid, and a lot more than the town appraisal). State Farm I can't get an answer from, even though I have a local agent who just says he's 'sorry, he estimated wrong.' The discounts section of the bill (for combining car, etc) is totally blank, despite clearly getting them according to the agent.

Is this some new racket, quotes are only estimates, we pay, we find out at least a month later that it's going to be a lot higher??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
    When I've purchsed home owners insurance the company has always sent someone out to see the property before they would finalize the policy and price. All conversations on the phone prior to that were only estimates of the policy coverage amount, obviously based on what I had paid for the property. But remember that the purchase price includes both land and buildings, whereas the insurance covers buildings and liability, so the purchase price can only be used as an estimate for coverage.

The inspection by the insurance company typcially takes place within a day or two of requesting coverage, prior to closing on the purchase of the property. It seems in your case that they didn't send an inspector for several weeks? And you closed on the property before having insurance lined up?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
    I paid cash and didn't buy insurance for a week or two.
    Nothing about this made sense.
    Paid 262K
    Town appraisal (not assessment) land and house 362K
    Travelers wanted to insure just the house for 429K some weeks after I paid, said the premium would be higher but didn't say what, just to sign a form if I accepted - so I didn't.
    Then the State Farm agent quoted with a bunch of discounts, but they don't show on the bill, and the agent just says 'sorry.' The quote went from $514 to $691 without explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my medical insurance sue my family's homeowner's ins co without my consent? [ 4 Answers ]

I fell a few months back and have been receiving medical care, of which my medical insurance has been covering my bills. The fall happened at a family member's house, however I have no intent of sueing their homeowner's insurance for claims as it was my fault I fell and feel it is my medical...

I need to translate English quote into a Classic Sanskrit quote [ 2 Answers ]

Beautiful lotus without a scent like him who doesn’t act accordingly. Bussihism taught a life not by rule, but by principle, a life of beauty; and as a consequence, it was a religion of tolerance. It was the most charitable system under the sun. Thanks guys Nicole:)

HomeOwner's insurance claim [ 4 Answers ]

Mom's property has had no mortgage due on it for a # of years. Recently there was catastrophic damage from water and frozen pipes. Insurance company paid her directly. The question was asked of the insurance company if she has to repair the house or can she sell it. The response was that 'the...

Homeowner's Responsibility? [ 2 Answers ]

Is the homeowner responsible for the tree growing on the patch of grass near the sidewalk opposite to his/her house, just as he/she is responsible for cutting the grass on that patch? Any legal consequences?

Foreclosure - Forced Homeowner's Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I recently tried to provide advice to a lady whose home will be sold at Trustee Sale on August 24, 2007. She is down about 8 months, and the lender placed their own insurance on the property to protect their interest. She has no escrow account and allowed her policy to lapse about 4 months ago. Her...

View more questions Search