Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Mar 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Password protected folder in Win XP?
    Hello,
    I was wondering if it was possible to create password protected folders in Windows XP and what might those steps be?
    Currently, I am using MS Word and Excel password protected files, but I would much rather consolidate them into one password protected folder.
    Thanks in advance.
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Ok, first things first, in XP you can only password protect folders (with windows, cause you can use third party software) with a NTFS formatted hard drive, assuming you have one then your first thing is to password protect your user account (Windows uses the same password for the user account as it does for the folder password). Next, you right-click the forder you want protected, Go to Properties, Go to the provacy tab, then Tick the box that says "Make this folder private". This way will only let you open it, if any other user tries then they'll need the password.

If the computer isn't allowed a password on it (parents, suspisious girfiend/boyfriend) , or you simply don't want one there are two thing you can do If you create a new Zip file with windows (Right-click->New->ZIP. File) you can again, make it password protected by using the privacy tab, but, this way doesn't require you to have a password on the user account, and every time you access the ZIP it needs a password. The other thing you can do is use third party software like Lock folder XP.

Side notes: The ZIP file and most third party software DO NOT require you to have a NTFS formatted hard drive.

To convert from FAT32 to NTFS without losing any data go Here

To check what format your disk is, go to My Computer > Right click your hard drive > Properties about a third down the box will be "File System" and next to that will be your format

Rate my answer:P please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Win 98se back to win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Does anybody know if it is possible to backout an installation of win 98se. A friend of mine installed a USB hub on his win 98 machine and when asked for the drivers he inserted a win 98se disk and the machine tried to go through the upgrade procedure. At some point this upgrade...

Password protecting a folder [ 1 Answers ]

How can you password protect a folder on your desktop?

Any way to password protect desktop folder in XP Pro? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am running Windows XP Pro with SP 2. I would like to know if there is a way to password protect folders on my desktop. For instance, lets say I have all the "default" icons and then I create 5 or 6 folders for different things that I want to put in them. Say I forget to log off or...

Setup an password in folder access [ 5 Answers ]

Dear sir; I want to setup an password in my desire folder I have win98 folder what should I do to protect my folder from other without changing my user account

How to protect afolder with a password in win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to give any folder a password protection and how thanks :o

View more questions Search