Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CluelessKitty Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Probation officers and home visits
    A friend of mine is using my address as his release destination next month. What should I expect as far as the initial "inspection" goes? What criteria am I expected to meet? Does it include my personal areas such as my bedroom? (my friend will be sleeping on the sofa). How soon after his release info is submitted will DOC be here to check things out? I'm not crazy about the idea of someone snooping around in my life regardless of rather or not I have anything to hide- it just seems like an invasion of privacy, so I'd like some idea of what I'm getting myself into by agreeing to this arrangement. Thanks in advance
    ali18ninja Posts: 159, Reputation: 16

Jul 24, 2012, 02:18 PM
    It is an invasion of YOUR privacy but not his. If you're willing to allow that then that's great for your friend. If YOU have something in YOUR bedroom that he cannot have, they will arrest him.

What can you expect? Well they'll knock on your door and ask to come in. If they (usually two or three officers) are anything like my probation officers, they'll simply "look" around. They don't even search for anything. They just look for anything suspicious or illegal. You can't have a single beer bottle or can around the house. Mine don't even search the other bedrooms or bathroom. They just look around the living room, look inside the fridge, and look around my room. But you shouldn't expect any of this. What you SHOULD expect is for them to look in every room, every closet, maybe move a few things, check the fridge, take a look around the house, and ask you about certain items of question.

Jul 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Hypothetically speaking , suppose I smoke marijuana but not around my children and they were to spot a marijuana pipe in my bedroom that is kept out of my kids' range of vision but not a bigger persons. Would they be likely to make a case for CPS out of it? Not to be harsh but I'm not overly concerned with changing my lifestyle for the sake of my friend - I feel he was a little out of line to even request this but I'd like to help him out- just not at the expense of my family's well being

Jul 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ali18ninja View Post
    It is an invasion of YOUR privacy but not his. If you're willing to allow that then that's great for your friend. If YOU have something in YOUR bedroom that he cannot have, they will arrest him.

What can you expect? Well they'll knock on your door and ask to come in. If they (usually two or three officers) are anything like my probation officers, they'll simply "look" around. They don't even search for anything. They just look for anything suspicious or illegal. You can't have a single beer bottle or can around the house. Mine don't even search the other bedrooms or bathroom. They just look around the living room, look inside the fridge, and look around my room. But you shouldn't expect any of this. What you SHOULD expect is for them to look in every room, every closet, maybe move a few things, check the fridge, take a look around the house, and ask you about certain items of question.
    CluelessKitty — New Member
    Today 09:30 PM
    Hypothetically speaking , suppose I smoke marijuana but not around my children and they were to spot a marijuana pipe in my bedroom that is kept out of my kids' range of vision but not a bigger persons. Would they be likely to make a case for CPS out of it? Not to be harsh but I'm not overly concerned with changing my lifestyle for the sake of my friend - I feel he was a little out of line to even request this but I'd like to help him out- just not at the expense of my family's well beingReply
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
    The PO can go into any room of the home and look and search. You can not have a gun in the home since the other person will have access to it. ( don't even start it will be in your room, does not matter

If they find pot in the home, they will revoke him at once, and most likely call the police to have you changed also.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 04:03 AM
    Hello C:

The PO can come in ANYTIME and search the ENTIRE house, and they DO. Your ROOM too. Oh, yeah.. They bring four or five big cops along with them...

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CluelessKitty View Post
    Hypothetically speaking , suppose I smoke marijuana but not around my children and they were to spot a marijuana pipe in my bedroom that is kept out of my kids' range of vision but not a bigger persons. Would they be likely to make a case for CPS out of it? Not to be harsh but I'm not overly concerned with changing my lifestyle for the sake of my friend - I feel he was a little out of line to even request this but I'd like to help him out- just not at the expense of my family's well being
    Hypothetically speaking, possession of drug paraphernalia is a crime in many places. If so not only could CPS get involved, you could be arrested.

If you are so concerned about your family's well-being, loose the drug habit.

And if you are not sure about helping your friend, don't.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 06:48 AM
    Hypothetically speaking , suppose I smoke marijuana but not around my children and they were to spot a marijuana pipe in my bedroom that is kept out of my kids' range of vision but not a bigger persons. Would they be likely to make a case for CPS out of it?
    Yes, that is a case for CPS. Illegal drug use is a cause to remove children from your care.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
    Hello again, C:

I applaud you for trying to help your friend.. I just don't know if I'd put myself at so much risk to do so... Maybe you could offer first and last on a cheap apartment. In the long run, that MIGHT be a cheaper alternative to what you're considering.

excon
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 07:04 AM
    In the end you have to choose what is more important to you. This convict or your kids.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    This convict or your kids.
    Hello, my friend, J:

I don't think the choice is QUITE as stark as that... Of course, they'll make an appointment for the initial visit, and they may never return. Just because the PO CAN search the house doesn't mean they WILL. It ISN'T something they routinely do. Maybe her friend is a really good guy. Maybe he'll cruise on probation.. Maybe he'll even wash a dish or two.

We've given her the facts... Let's leave it at that.

excon
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Oh, but it CAN be as stark as that. My MIL works for the court system and determines when, how, or if the children can remain in the custody of the parents.
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 07:22 AM
    As much as this person wants to help, and I applaud her for that, it could come back to bite her in the arse if she is indeed indulging in so-called illegal drug activity.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 07:25 AM
    Oh, but it CAN be as stark as that. My MIL works for the court system and determines when, how, or if the children can remain in the custody of the parents.
    Hello again, J:

I don't disagree. But that would only happen AFTER pot is found. I'm just saying, that depending on how her friend behaves, it's a pretty remote possibility.

excon
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 07:31 AM
    In my location, I don't know where the OP is, if there is a convict that is to live in a home where there are children, CPS will become involved to insure the children(s) well-being prior to the convict being allowed to live at the location. Home studies are done to insure that the children are not subjected to illegal activities.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 09:54 AM

- as does my sister.

Sorry I'm not writing more but I have post AMHD traumatic syndrome.

Jul 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, C:

I applaud you for trying to help your friend.. I just don't know if I'd put myself at so much risk to do so... Maybe you could offer first and last on a cheap apartment. In the long run, that MIGHT be a cheaper alternative to what you're considering.

excon
    Thanks, you offered the most useful (and fairest) insight into my HYPOTHETICAL situation
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Thanks, you offered the most useful (and fairest) insight into my HYPOTHETICAL situation

This is hypothetical? "A friend of mine IS USING my address as his release destination next month. What should I expect as far as the initial "inspection" goes? What criteria am I expected to meet?"

"I'm not overly concerned with changing my lifestyle for the sake of my friend ..."

Jul 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is hypothetical? "A friend of mine IS USING my address as his release destination next month. What should I expect as far as the initial "inspection" goes? What criteria am I expected to meet?"

"I'm not overly concerned with changing my lifestyle for the sake of my friend ..."
    And the point you wish make is..

Jul 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

And the point you wish to make is..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probation home visits [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how often a probation officer visits your home. I wasn't home last Monday and he came and left a card. I was dropping urine for the courts. Anyway, I have not told my children that I am on probation, I wondered if he was just making a one time visit or will he come every month. ...

Probation officers [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of threats? Are you supposed to do community service?

Changing probation officers? [ 11 Answers ]

Would I have the right to change officers, if my assigned one is always on the road? I never see him face to face, on check in day, and they are not helpful at all. I am treated like a murderer each time I go there. My charge was a second d.u.I. no one was injured, I haven't had alcohol in two...

What do probation officers have the right to tell you [ 9 Answers ]

OK well I'm currently on probation and I'm 14. I have only like two weeks left and I've been staying out of trouble. She found out that I am going out with an 18 year old we haven't had sex and she says that I can't talk to him. I love him with all my heart. He looked up the statutory rape laws...

View more questions Search