Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Navigator 1971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Withdrawal from 401K account
    I am 44 and would like to wihtdraw from my 401K account. Can I do this ? Also my reason s for doing this is wipe out my monthly debt. The interest rates I am being charged far outweigh any return on investment I am getting on my 401K. Also, my employer does not contribute. They used too, but not anymore! I like to think this is a good decision on my part... do you agree? I feel being debt free opens up a lot of investing windows for me. I am aware there is a 10% penalty and at the end of the year, my income rises by the amount I am withdrawing. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
    A lot is going to depend on how your 401k is managed. Many do not allow for a withdrawl (outright taking of funds) so long as you remain employed by them. Instead they allow you to borrow against it. You would be put on a repayment plan and be charged interest but all the money goes back to you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
    I agree with califdadof3 that it's generally a better deal to take a loan against your 401(k) as opposed to a withdrawal. And very few plans allow active employees to make withdrawals unless the money is to be used for one of the so-called "hardship" purposes, which are:

1. Expenses for medical care previously incurred by the employee, the employee’s spouse, or any dependents of the employee or necessary for these persons to obtain medical care;
    2. Costs directly related to the purchase of a principal residence for the employee (excluding mortgage payments);
    3. Payment of tuition, related educational fees, and room and board expenses, for the next 12 months of postsecondary education for the employee, or the employee’s spouse, children, or dependents;
    4. Payments necessary to prevent the eviction of the employee from the employee’s principal residence or foreclosure on the mortgage on that residence;
    5. Funeral expenses; or
    6. Certain expenses relating to the repair of damage to the employee’s principal residence.

Note that "being in debt" is not one of the hardships, so it's unlikely that your plan will allow you to make a withdrawal. But if course it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I am on disability I want to withdrawal my 401k I already had taken a loan from it 6 months ago so they tell me they cannot give me my 407k unless I resign, is that legal or is there a way to get the 401k ?

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

How much income tax would I have to pay on $5000.00

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an early withdraw from his 401K for personal reasons, they took only 10% taxes off before we received it, we claimed it on our 2005 tax return as income from the 1099R and paid an additional 10% tax, now we receive a notice telling us we should have paid an additional 10%? Also, is...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

View more questions Search