Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Fr Chuck on the road
    Just to let anyone know, I will be in and out of contact for a couple weeks starting on August 24th. I am moving to Bozhou China for at least 6 months and perhaps a year.

And yes Ms Fr Chuck and our son is going with me there. I have already checked with several friends in China and our web site here is available. So once I get settled, I will be back on line. In route I may or may not be online, so if you miss me for a week or two, that is where I am going to.

I will be working on my Martial Arts and Chinese culture.

I will have a travel blog going of my adventures. If people have any advice on China or living in China, please post them here.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
    WoW awesome.
    I'm sure you'll take full advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity...
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Yes, I "retired" from my police job some years ago, "retired" from my medical tech job last Oct. And as of now have merged my school with another school ( making us most likely the largest karate school in the area) and sold part of the school. I retained part ownership, but I am taking the money and going to do things NOW instead of wishing latter. Also what a life for my son Nate who is 11. How many children get to spend a year learning culture and seeing all the major sites of China. We may stay longer if it goes well, or may also go to Japan and a few other places.

And of course if things don't go well, I may come back sooner.

Lady Toni (MS Fr Chuck) has always wanted to have some of the stories I tell about living in Mexico and Japan and other places. The stories of Cambodia sound more fun than they were at the time I am sure.

But this will give her and Nate experience many people only dream of. ** or perhaps dread, we have actually lost a few "friends" who have stopped talking to us because we are going to live there.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Well sold my one car today, getting rid of everything I have a debt on, so I will be free to live better in China.

I am interested in any suggestions on things to take ( and not to take) , packing ideas and more.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Well sold my one car today, getting rid of everything I have a debt on, so I will be free to live better in China.

I am interested in any suggestions on things to take ( and not to take) , packing ideas and more.

Me, take me! Me! I'm small, I don't eat much. I'll TRY to keep my opinions to myself.

Me, please, me, take me!

Oh, by the way - I don't refer to your wife as MrsFrChuck. I refer to you as MrLadyToni.
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Keep opinions to yourself, HUMMMMM?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Wow! What a great adventure! I hope y'all have a great time!
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 08:44 PM
    18 days and counting. So I may be off here for a week or two, ( and maybe not) Hope internet is not an issue where we are going. Appears to be a small farming village will be our first stop after we do a week in Beijing. Have to get new cell phones, open bank accounts there and other issues for a long term stay to make life easier.

Not looking forward to the toliets ( or lack of them)
    Random Observations from China: Toilets :: Dammit Jim!
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 08:51 PM
    I'm glad you looked into the toilets... I didn't want to bring that subject up.
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 09:04 PM
    Already knew about them, they use these somewhat in Japan and other parts of Asia
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 09:09 PM
    I just can't imagine using those "holes."
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 09:13 PM
    What happens when you hit 65 and aren't as limber?
    Expert

Aug 5, 2012, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What happens when you hit 65 and aren't as limber?
    You have to aim better?
    Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 08:16 PM
    I will see about posting a few photos ( not of them being used of course)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
    Actually, I'd like to see one being used. I can't imagine how a woman uses one.
    Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
    Sort of squats over it and lets it go, wearing a skirt I understand makes it easier.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
    What if she has bad knees?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorta squats over it and lets it go, wearing a skirt I understand makes it easier.
    Gives new meaning to 'got a link for that?'. Well I don't know if it would make it easier, one still has to deal with getting the panties out of the way of the stream and that is awkward when squatting. I guess one could go without them. I hope they don't have streetcars (inside joke).
    Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 05:17 AM
    Panties ? What panties ?
    Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Well have not left and may have a slight change to schedule, I had been trying to get a residence permit for China, so I don't have to enter and leave the country as you do with a tourist visa.

So I had been refused because of my religious status ( or so I was told by the people working on it for me) Well it finally got though today and I can change to a residence permit and a visa that allows me to work and not have to enter and leave the nation.
    I guess if this was the US I would call it a Green Card for the best comparison I can.

I had almost given up on this happening, but this changes my plans some, we will still be traveling around and seeing the culture but I have the opportunity to consult in China, I am not at liberty to say for who and exactly what. But I will be telling about some of my adventures on my blog and some things here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upper road climbing starry rivers old dark abode on the upper road [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a poem. Here is a part of it. I'm going on the upper road for that still holds the sun I'm climbing through night's pastures where the starry rivers run If you should think to seek me in my old dark abode You'll find this writing on the door He's on the upper road

A Question for Fr. Chuck [ 3 Answers ]

Fr. Chuck, I am adopted and the only non-descript information I have for my birth parents is the hospital where I was born and I what private Catholic adoption agency I was adopted from. The hospital no longer exists nor does the diocese I was adopted from. I would like to find my birth parents...

Chuck [ 1 Answers ]

The burner is off, but hot water still cycles through the base board. What's up?

View more questions Search