Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
    So when does the ship leave port?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
    On the 24th, leave for the exotic land of Canada for a day and then off to China. Will arriave in China on the afternoon of the 25th.

Will spend the first couple of days, just "being in China" first day most likely sleep, trying to get over the jet lag everyone says I will have, then a trip to the great wall out side of Beijing, the Forbidden Palace, and other sites. Then off to Zhengzhou on Thursday. Then get registered, most likely a trip to the local police to register my living there.

Then in the next week or two I will have to run off to Hong Kong to change over my visa's and then back to China to re-register and do the paper work for my residency papers.

So during that period If I have internet I will be on some in the evenings ( or mornings here) maybe.

Already working on my spoken Chinese, I can say hello, how are you doing, call the police, tell them here is my passport, tell them I am an American and order some basic foods, plus my coffee.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
    Are you taking only clothes and necessities, and will buy stuff there? Do you have a place to live?
    Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Yes I have an apartment there already, ( 7th floor) It is suppose to be fully furnished, 2 bedroom with American bathroom ( real toilet). Hopefully it will have some pots and pans and the such.

But yes we are each packing a bag under 50 lbs. and a 22 lb carry on bag. Everything else stays here. Toni and Nate are going lighter on the clothes since they will not have any trouble finding clothes to fit, I was told that my clothes may be harder and since I will be working with some of the Communist Party people and with some of the legal systems, I have to have more dress clothes and then everyday clothes also.

And then lots of special shampoo and some items we were told would be hard to find high quality for.

I still think we have too much packed but we are all packed and ready.

I found that all of our computers will run off their power so that is a blessing.

One of my cell phones is unlocked, so I can buy a sim card for it, at the airport and have a cell phone from day one on the ground. We will buy Lady Toni and Nate a phone when we get to the apartment so it has the right area code for the local area.

I use a certain bank here that is "connected to a China bank" so money transfer is going to be easy.

And my major credit card is owned by a company whose parent company is in China
    Hong Kong, Singapore Banking Company which we know as HSBC who does many credit cards, There will not even be extra fees for my using the cards I have there.

I will be posting photos of the entire trip as I go along.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Are you three nervous? Excited? Have you researched China and the culture?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
    Hello Padre:

Sayanara.. Ok, that's probably Japanese, but you get my drift.

excon
    Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Researched it to death. I know customs, sanitation, and more. Many of the legal requirements is so much as to where you are at, or what embassy you go to.

And not having exact plans has been killing me. I over plan everything, that is what I do.

But in the last year, I retired from full time work as a Medical Tech
    Now in last month, I have sold 1/3 of my business and turned over all the management and running of it over to a business manger.
    Closing up my home, and having a family member move in to take care of it.
    The exactly what I was going to do and exactly where we were going was in limbo. I had a backup plan just in case, But was really counting on a one of the two other plans to work out. So the one was suppose to have all worked out, I am suppose to have all of the paper work emailed to me on Monday. I will need the original paper work for the government, but can take care of that after I get to my apartment.

So if all works out as promised today, I will make the hotel reservations, and other travel plans in the morning for in country. Already have the flights to there booked
    Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Padre:

Sayanara.. Ok, that's probably Japanese, but you get my drift.

excon
    You all will most likely not even notice I am somewhere else, ( at least if it works as I have planned)

Except maybe you have to call me comrade or something not padre
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Already working on my spoken Chinese, I can say hello, how are you doing, call the police, tell them here is my passport, tell them I am an American and order some basic foods, plus my coffee.

This made me laugh - "Hello" I understand.

"How are you doing" Okay.

"Call the Police"?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
    I just can't stop thinking about those toilets. *shudder*
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I just can't stop thinking about those toilets. *shudder*
    Then you never want to travel through europe because they have them in other countries as well. At least you don't have to worry about getting something off a toilet seat !
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 04:01 AM
    Yes a some of Europe and most Asian nations use those.I was just much ,much younger, not sure I can even get into the right get that low anymore. Guess like a gun, point and shoot, and see what you hit.
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 04:25 AM
    Yes a some of Europe and most Asian nations use those.I was just much ,much younger, not sure I can even get into the right get that low anymore. Guess like a gun, point and shoot, and see what you hit.
    Easy for your to say ! Point and shoot. With us it is aim and dribble !
    C0bra_M3nace Posts: 1,296, Reputation: 223
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Right on!

I bid you safe travels and hope to see you on again soon!

-Justin
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
    Yes, I have not traveled internationally since before they had internet. So I guess they will have it in the hotel in Beijing. But my first 5 days is in a very "discount" place they list internet but not sure if it is free or costs and what. After that I will be traveling to my apartment but then also not sure if it is turned on yet or not. Withdraws hit after two days so most likely will have to have a coffee shop ( well for coffee also,and can't go two days before that withdraw hits first.) But I will try and get on some but it may be a couple weeks.

You know in Beijing, should I answer questions here or go see the Great Wall or the Fobidden City , hard choice (LOL)

Of course I may have internet everywhere I am at, and just my IP will be different
    Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Arrived at may first stop of the day, the exotic and enchanting Toronto Canada. Started my day off with some of their unique items, Canadian eggs from real Canadian chickens. And none of that swiss cheese on my eggs it had to be Canadian cheese. On the coffee, all I can say is I am not in Star Bucks no more. I am sure they tried to make me feel at home in Georgia since everything was fried in extra amounts of oil or grease of some sort.

Well getting a chance to practice my Chinese, I must not be real good, no one has blieved I was Chinese yet.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 07:56 AM
    I must not be real good, no one has blieved I was Chinese yet.
    Hello Padre,

That's because you look Jewish...

Keep us informed. It'll be like we're there with you. Funny... Now, I have to have some hot and sour soup for lunch.

excon
    Expert

Aug 25, 2012, 04:16 AM
    Ok on the ground in Beijing. And the traffic was not as bad as I had been told.

Have to fun, will be on some over next few days
    Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 02:33 AM
    Arrived at may first stop of the day, the exotic and enchanting Toronto Canada. Started my day off with some of their unique items, Canadian eggs from real Canadian chickens. and none of that swiss cheese on my eggs it had to be Canadian cheese. On the coffee, all I can say is I am not in Star Bucks no more. I am sure they tried to make me feel at home in Georgia since everything was fried in extra amounts of oil or grease of some sort.

well getting a chance to practice my Chinese, I must not be real good, no one has blieved I was Chinese yet.
    Why do you call Toronto 'exotic'; do we really say 'canadian eggs'? I know we say 'canadian back bacon' because no where in the world do they do it the same way.

Our coffee comes from the same place yours does.

We do have a very large asian community in Torornto and rich in ethnicity which makes it a very international city. Too bad you can see more then what you do at the airport.
    Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Why do you call Toronto 'exotic'; do we really say 'canadian eggs'? I know we say 'canadian back bacon' because no where in the world do they do it the same way.

Our coffee comes from the same place yours does.

We do have a very large asian community in Torornto and rich in ethnicity which makes it a very international city. Too bad you can see more then what you do at the airport.

The lady at the little diner where we ate, called it that, made a point that the eggs and cheese were Canadian style. We had a long lay over almost a full day. So we got out and about some. I used to live about 20 min from the border and shopped and was in Canada a little.

I think I found a place to eat with a nut case as a waitress actually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upper road climbing starry rivers old dark abode on the upper road [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a poem. Here is a part of it. I'm going on the upper road for that still holds the sun I'm climbing through night's pastures where the starry rivers run If you should think to seek me in my old dark abode You'll find this writing on the door He's on the upper road

A Question for Fr. Chuck [ 3 Answers ]

Fr. Chuck, I am adopted and the only non-descript information I have for my birth parents is the hospital where I was born and I what private Catholic adoption agency I was adopted from. The hospital no longer exists nor does the diocese I was adopted from. I would like to find my birth parents...

Chuck [ 1 Answers ]

The burner is off, but hot water still cycles through the base board. What's up?

View more questions Search