Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRenners Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Electrical Outlet replacement
    I am replacing a GFI electrical outlet that went out in the back of our house. It is hooked up on the line to the outlets in our garage. I am using a Sperry Instruments three pronged electrical circuit tester to test the outlets. The GFI that I replaced is now working properly based on the correct lighting on the circuit tester, but the outlets in the garage are giving me a reading that is listed on the tester as hot/ground reverse. However, the outlets in the garage were working properly before I put the new GFI in, and they are still working, but I am getting that reading. Any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Could be that they were resversed before and you had no reason to check them. Trust your tester and reverse the wires. If that doesn't fix things get back to us.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Before I went putting a black wire on a green screw and a bare on the brass, I would do some more checking. Better yet, wait until tkrussel answers.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 03:49 AM
    What I would check is to be sure the feed to the GFI is connected to the Line of the GFI,both the black and white, and be sure the downstream outlets you are protecting is connected to the Load side of the GFI. You may have either got these wires mixed up or did not realize there is a Line and Load on the GFI

I would not reverse the black and bare wires. This would mean the bare wire is live, which cannot be.The problem causing this issue needs to be found and corrected so the polarity of each wire is correct.

Best to use a voltage tester with test leads to measure voltage across two wires. Should be 120 volts across the black to white, and black to bare ground, should be zero or close to zero across the white and bare ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement electrical outlet stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

A basement electrical outlet I use constantly for my fridge & microwave just stopped working all of a sudden. It's not getting any power at all. I've flipped all the breakers on & off because I'm unsure which breaker goes to that outlet but nothing. How am I to make sure the outlet's power will be...

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

External Electrical Outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a external electrical outlet in the front and back patios of my house and neither of them work. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Electrical outlet outage [ 2 Answers ]

While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.

View more questions Search