Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    km25 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Two roles same employer-can employer share information with managers about other role?
    Hi,
    I work in two different roles in different departments for the same employer. Can the employer disclose my information to managers of those departments about the other role where I don't work for them.

My HR person says that as H&S issue they can disclose my employment information to other line managers even if they are not linked to my role.

Thanks for your advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
    I'm trying to figure out why you think one manager should not be aware of what you do for another manager. I can't imagine there is any rules on this except company policy.

Jul 24, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Hi Scott,
    Thanks for your immediate response... yes your question helps to explain the situation clearly.

One of my managers I work for, we don't get along very well as I don't submit to his/her authorities. I have raised work load issue with this manager for this role as I work a lot on this and yet they are dissatisfied despite all the team members and other associated colleagues in this role are extremely satisfied and praise for my performance.

They are trying to tie the work load issue due to the other role. However, the roles don't overlap and it's not even a identical role.. they are completely different roles. I don't see why the manager from one role should know my working hours for the other role (as a matter of principle and confidentiality, no overlaps in the hours) and to protect them quoting that I am stressed from the other role. When in fact it's their work that causes me to stress...

They asked me about working hours for the other role and I refused to share the information and requested for HR not to share this info without my consent.

Hope its clear..

Cheers,

Jul 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
    I can understand why you might want to keep them separate, but this is up to your employer not you. If the employer thinks its is OK then it is OK. If HR decides to comply with your request, then they will be kept separate. There are no laws that govern this.

Jul 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Thanks Scott, that's helpful to know. My concern is that the roles aren't connected and have separate contracts and therefore should be considered as independent. If there are any performance issues then its fine for HR to enquire about the roles rather than the individual managers having the privilege for such information. If I was employed in two roles by different employers they will not have the right to breach the confidentiality and this should also be applicable within the different divisions.
    But if there are no laws then I presume I cannot hold HR for breaching the confidentiality and sharing this info with those unconnected to my role??

Jul 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
    If you are under contract, then have this written into your contract. Then you would have a breach of contract issue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
    Does not matter, you will normally have one file in the company but yes there is no law to stop them from having lunch and talking all about you if they want. In fact the company management may want them to, esp if one is having a problem.

Jul 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Thanks Scott, Chuck for your helpful advice/comments.

Sure, I don't care what they talk about me informally as long as they bring that information to me and state to me that I am working so and so hours in the other work which therefore impacts this work. In which case, I want to be able to ask them how they got this information and why they would think so? (unless the roles does clash and does impact my work! )

I don't want them to use my information which I didn't want to divulge to them in the first place to be used against me (unless its true!)

Thanks Scott, will definitely ask for this to be included in my contract from now on.

Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employee gave employer a doctors excuse for missing work and employer wants to know t [ 1 Answers ]

Employee returned to work with doctors excuseand employer wants reason for missing work. Does this come under any hipaa laws for privacy.

Is it legal for an employer to pay different amounts to staff who have the same roles [ 5 Answers ]

Is it legal for an employer to pay staff different wage amounts when both staff have the same roles and responsibilities?

Employer information [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the employer for **** Name and address of person deleted for privacy issue

Coaching information for the employer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completely new to this field so I'm still feeling my way around things. Is it normal protocol to let your potential employer know your member number in your national coaching association? What about the member number of the national sports association? I'm thinking it would be easier for...

Why human resource management important to managers, employee and employer [ 1 Answers ]

Why human resource management important to managers, employee and employer

View more questions Search