Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Sizing a Capacitor
    Air conditioner
    Made by Armstrong Air Conditioning now Allied AIR, Bellevue, Ohio
    Unable to find HP of compressor, running amps 11.9, Lock rotor amp 59, Volts 208-230, my calculations 3.5 HP
    Fan motor A. O. Smith 1/5 HP

I am unable to read markings on capacitor due to corrosion and poor markings. There does appear to be the word "YORK", as in York Air conditioner. All else to faint to read.

Can any one tell me (or calculate) what size this capacitor might be.
    This is a compressor/fan start capacitor. Physical size, 2" diameter, 4" high.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2012, 05:34 AM
    HK, I copied this at HVAC forum perhaps the techs here will be able to offer an accurate answer.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Thanks TK.
    I got the information and the capacitor.

I call a dealer that is local but I am out of his service area. He was kind enough to get the information from his distributor.
    I would have driven the distance but he was out of stock. The local HVAC supplier is R E Michael. About half the time they won't sell to me because I am not a HVAC tech.

Fortunately, I was able to get it at Tribbles Appliance Parts. Great place to do business with. Always as pleasant and helpful. I'm not a big customer but I am a long time customer. Can't ever remember having anything but a good experience with them. For that matter can't ever remember them not having what I needed.
    As you can see, I never miss an opportunity to recommend Tribbles.

They are local to me so I have never ordered anything on line but can't imagine it being any different. Need appliance parts go to Tribbles.

Still looking online for how to calculate capacitor size in case I have a similar situation in the future. Got to be a way, if HVAC tech can do so can I.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing a capacitor bank [ 6 Answers ]

is it advisable to size the capacitor bank as 30% of the transformer KVA rating? I assume KVAR=30% Transformer KVA

Sizing a Capacitor [ 0 Answers ]

Air conditioner Made by Armstrong Air Conditioning now Allied AIR, Bellevue, Ohio Unable to find HP of compressor, running amps 11.9, Lock rotor amp 59, Volts 208-230, my calculations 3.5 HP Fan motor A. O. Smith 1/5 HP I am unable to read markings on capacitor due to corrosion and poor...

Capacitor sizing [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a 440 vac rated capacitor on a 240 volt home air conditioner? The microfarad rating is the same on both.

Sizing of capacitor for a ceiling fan motor [ 2 Answers ]

I find that a capacitor is provided on a ceiling fan, and I am told it is meant to start the fan motor. Fans are there with different blade sizes, so the motor sizes must be different. How is the capacitor to be selected? Does this capacitor play any part when the fan is running? If capacitor size...

View more questions Search