Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Erza12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Converting to Reformed Judaism
    Hi, I was hoping to get some insight on how to convert to reformed Judaism. My main reason to convert is because of marriage and I do wish to eventually raise my future kids under one religion. How and what can I do to start the process? How long does it take to convert?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
    My suggestion is to meet with a rabbi.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2012, 03:36 AM
    If you are converting for marriage then your fiancée has a rabbi. Go talk with him/her. They will explain the process.

Judaism isn't big on conversion and reform synagogues even less so. So just agreeing to practice Judaism may be sufficient. I don't believe a formal conversion process is spelled out in the Talmud. So it may just be a matter of the rabbi making sure you are sincere.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 04:53 AM
    Yes and if you are not a true believer and want to convert only because of marriage they may not really want this. And to be honest if you don't really believe you should not convert.
    Since it is obvious you have not spoken to a rabbi to even learn more about the faith, that is your first stop
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jul 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
    That "Judaism isn't big on conversion" as ScottGem states, isn't true. Judaism is not a missionary religion and anyone who want to convert needs to go through a lengthy process and the rabbis make sure that the person is sincere in his/her wishes to convert. The process can take anywhere from a few months to several years.
    I myself converted orthodox, so it might be more difficult than reform, but the main procedure is more or less the same. You need to find a sponsoring rabbi.
    Here is some information:
    Conversion - URJ
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    That "Judaism isn't big on conversion" as ScottGem states, isn't true.
    Maybe you misunderstood my meaning, but my statement is true. As you said yourself Judaism is not a missionary religion. This means we don't actively solicit or seek out converts. If that isn't being "big on conversion" I don't know what is.

That doesn't mean that converts are not accepted or that there isn't a procedure for conversion. We do and there is. But, most rabbis will make sure someone is very serious about conversion before accepting them into the process. Another example of not being big on conversion.

The site you linked to is a good source of info for the OP. But I stand by what I said.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jul 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
    You say " So just agreeing to practice Judaism may be sufficient". That's definitely not the case. So maybe I misunderstood what you mean with "not being big on conversion" since your second sentence is implying that it's easy to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Maybe you misunderstood my meaning, but my statement is true. As you said yourself Judaism is not a missionary religion. This means we don't actively solicit or seek out converts. If that isn't being "big on conversion" I don't know what is.

That doesn't mean that converts are not accepted or that there isn't a procedure for conversion. We do and there is. But, most rabbis will make sure someone is very serious about conversion before accepting them into the process. Another example of not being big on conversion.

The site you linked to is a good source of info for the OP. But I stand by what I said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judaism [ 3 Answers ]

Create a PowerPoint® Presentation geared toward teaching a younger person (age 9-14) about Judaism.

Felon reformed [ 3 Answers ]

My friend just went to a cdl truck driving school but is having problem getting a job as a truck driver because he has a felon. Can u give me the name of some companies who will hire someone with a felon.

A reformed slave traders regret [ 1 Answers ]

How were the slaves confined in an inhumane manner

Judaism, different sects [ 7 Answers ]

Different sects of Judaism

Judaism [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find information concerning the History of Key Sacred Texts of Judaism?and how would I teach this information to a younger person between the ages of 9-14?

View more questions Search