Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarkclan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2004, 09:24 PM
    Furnace blower switch
    I have a gravity furnace. On one leg of the system I' ve Placed a small 110volt blower fan with a manual switch. Is there any type of switch that can be wired into the 24 volt furnace thermostat so the blower only runs when the furnace is on.. I've added this to give a little heat to the basement. Works great just runs too much.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2004, 06:00 AM
    All you need is a common relay with a 24 volt coil. All the forced air furnaces and central air conditioners use them. Look for a relay with a 24 volt coil and contacts rated for a little more than your motor is rated for at 110 volts. Hit one of the home centers stores to avoid questions about model numbers and so forth, or go back to where you bought the blower. Radio shack and other electronics stores sell general purpose relays too.

A more sophisticated system would be a temperature limit switch installed above the furnace that closes at 140 degrees, NOC. When the furnace came on, the switch would start the blower after the air warmed up and shut it off after the air cooled off when the furnace went off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower for furnace won't turn on [ 2 Answers ]

I have just re-lit my pilot light for the winter. The furnace is turning on with the thermostat set, but the blower isn't. If I put the blower to manual it turns on, but not in the auto setting. What do I need to do?

Furnace blower won't turn on [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 395C furnace. The blower won't come on even when thermostat fan switch is set to "on." I've verified that I'm getting 24V AC between terminals marked G and C on the furnace. Blower has 3 wires going into circuit board on furnace. These are colored red, black, and white; red is...

Furnace blower? [ 3 Answers ]

This morning my furnace in the attic was making some weird sounds. By lunch time the was a burning smell through my vents. At lunch time no heat was blowing through my vents in the house. I turned the a/c on and still nothing. My unit outside is working fine too. What do you think it could be?

Furnace/blower. [ 6 Answers ]

Been searching but so far I haven't found any information that really helps me. I've lived in this house for about a year and a half now, it has the original furance in it(house was built in the 70's I blelieve). Last year the furnace worked fine, and had worked fine so far this year. I live in...

View more questions Search