Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Search warrant? Something else?
    I actually just witnessed this. Pulled my car out, State Police came roaring up and blocked my driveway. I have a Borla exhaust (which is not illegal but I've been stopped before) so I got out to see what he wanted. Three other cars and two Sheriff cars pulled up immediately and they all got out and surrounded the house. I saw one of the Troopers walk into the family room (which is on the side of the house).

They asked where her 30-year old son was, she said he was sleeping, she started to get him, they followed her and THEY woke him up.

They searched the yard and part of the house.

My neighbor just called me - there was a bomb threat and the person used her son's name and address. As it happened the call did not come from a cell phone owned by anyone in that house.

After questioning him they said it wasn't her son so they said, "Sorry" and left.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. He did have a MJ arrest, maybe 10 years ago, no jail time, a hefty fine, clean since.

No warrant, nothing? No knock on the door and asking to be admitted?

I know the movie shooting has everyone on edge but this was like a TV movie!

I told her I think minimally I'd be calling Superior Officers but I don't know.

Thoughts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
    How do you know they did not have a warrant to search. You were not in a place to see it and unless someone asked to see it they don't have to show it.

Next unless someone stopped them, nothing stops them from walking in, if someone answers the door, and they can search if no one tells them to stop. The issue would be if what they find could be used in court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Chuck is right, a warrant is only necessary if the occupant refuses entry. It also matters in terms of evidence if there is no probable cause.

I assume this was a neighbors house, you didn't make that clear.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Hello Judy:

In my view, the more militarized the police force has gotten, the more they disregard our rights. I've NEVER been a fan... But, it's getting WORSE and WORSE..

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Judy:

In my view, the more militarized the police force has gotten, the more they disregard our rights. I've NEVER been a fan... But, it's getting WORSE and WORSE..

excon

It was my neighbor -
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    How do you know they did not have a warrant to search. you were not in a place to see it and unless someone asked to see it they don't have to show it.

Next unless someone stopped them, nothing stops them from walking in, if someone answers the door, and they can search if no one tells them to stop. The issue would be if what they find could be used in court.

If they had one nobody showed it but nobody asked - my neighbor froze.

And, yes, they just walked in. When she was answering the front door for one pair of Cops another pair walked in the back door.

And, yes, I saw the whole thing clearly.

I'm always on the side of the Police but, boy, it was a shock to see this happen.

And they had the wrong guy, wrong address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A few questions about arrest warrant/search warrant in Ontario, Canada [ 12 Answers ]

If there is an arrest/search warrant issued for you, what address do they raid? (as in how do they find out where you live... driver's license?) Say for example, you moved out of your parents home and live by yourself... are they allowed to raid parents home (previous address)?

Warrant search [ 1 Answers ]

How can I do an outstanding warrant search in the states of South and North Carolina without using a paid site? All sites I've searched requires a fee to do a background check.

Search warrant [ 2 Answers ]

With a C.I. and a detectives testimony of a transaction taking place in an alley behind a business (a supposed drug hand off)a search warrant was issued. Now if the transaction that was seen was a friend of mine handing me a sobe drink (found at any liquor store)and a hand shake saying"thanks 4...

Search warrant [ 3 Answers ]

Someone drove by and saw a door open at my house, called the police and the police came and entered the house with no search warrant... are they allowed to enter with no search warrant without probable cause?

View more questions Search