Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Windows Security Renewals Virus just ate my computer
    I had a second computer that I decided to fix up. Installed a new hard drive and upgraded memory cards. It worked fantastically (considering my computer abilities which ain't much) for several hours and then all H broke loose. "Windows Security Renewals" came on and volunteered to fix everything for a small fee, of course.
    Anybody heard of this scam?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
    Yes, Google it. If you decide to wipe the drive and rebuild, apply all critical Windows Updates once you can boot into Windows and before general web browsing. If you are running an older version of Windows, XP for instance, there are hundreds of patches needed to secure the machine. An unpatched system can be compromised pretty quickly just by general browsing and even faster if there isn't a router/firewall between the machine and the Internet.
    aerotampa Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
    You picked up a rogue, reboot into safe mode with networking, grab FREE version of this, update and run, yes it will install and run fine in safe mode with networking:
    Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Thanks but that was about 5 months ago and the patient has been buried.
    I'll save the link in case it happens again.
    Your assistance is appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do my computer has a virus when I have the McAfee Security program installed? [ 4 Answers ]

My computer sometimes download a program with a virus. I have the McAfee Security from AT&T installed on my computer. When the computer automatic updated (around 2 AM), some of the file contains virus. The next day I try to get on the internet, it would said that the internet has stopped working...

Security tool virus [ 2 Answers ]

I currently trying to get rid of the Security tool virus. It has blocked me from system restore (are somehow disabled and I can't change it, tab missing from computer properties), it has blocked me from regedit.exe, it stopped me from changing folder options to get into hidden files and folders....

Will my computer get virurs if I use a program with virus with my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Will my computer get virurs if I use a program with virus with my computer

Can a windows xp virus effect windows vista? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My pendrive was infected by a virus called "jambanmu" which is either a malaysian or Indonesian virus. If I put my pendrive into a windows xp computer the virus will stop the computer from using few stuff. As for my pendrive the virus doesn't allow me to reformat it. If I use a windows vista...

Security Center Virus [ 7 Answers ]

Whenever I open my IE, the http://www.syssecuritysite.com/ website opens and says.. WARNING! YOUR SYSTEM IS VULNERABLE TO HACKERS' ATTACKS AND BREAKDOWNS! Following is the process that my system has. I've MCAffe, AVG and AD-Aware, all updated but none of them worked out. Please tell me how...

View more questions Search