Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam vencato Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Chemistry zinc and hydrochloric acid
    hello everyone before you all start getting angry, i am a bit slow. To write my notes out my teacher is very agresive and angry.

Please can you tell what happens when you mix zinc and hydrochloric acid i saw the experiment, but could not write it down in time.

Thank you

2nd
    What happens or is the result when iron and hydrochloric acid is mixed, once again i saw the experiment but could not get it written down because i am a litlle slow. I
    Get a 90 per cent of my questions right when i do them in my own time:the education system in england does not allow for this sorry folks:

Any help would be great thanks

Adam 13... :)
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
    This is a 'reactivity' experiment. These kind of experiments are usually to determine whether a metal is reactive or not.

But here's the reaction anyhow:

Zn + 2HCl = ZnCl2 + H2

Any metal plus an acid = a metal salt (halides for HCL and sulphates for H2SO4) and hydriogen gas. Hydrogen gas is diatomic and always H2, so make sure you have the equation balanced.
    kateyyyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 10:41 AM
    ITS
    zinc + hydrochloric acid = hydrogen + zinc chloride
    AND
    iron + hydrochloric acid = hydrogen + iron chloride
    HOPE IT HELPS XX
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kateyyyy View Post
    ITS
    zinc + hydrochloric acid = hydrogen + zinc chloride
    AND
    iron + hydrochloric acid = hydrogen + iron chloride
    HOPE IT HELPS XX

This is from 2007 - I would guess OP has his answer. I have requested that your other thread be removed. You have too much time on your hands.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil dead View Post
    This is a 'reactivity' experiment. These kind of experiments are usually to determine whether a metal is reactive or not.
    Well, since this thread was revived... it means that there might still be more people looking at it.

The above statement I quoted is wrong. Usually, the reaction of a metal and an acid is for the production of hydrogen gas in the laboratory.
    Love_Your_Life Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 05:17 AM
    When Zinc is mixed with Hcl they react which cause a gas called Hydrgon to be realased. When you light a stick and places it in the gas a loud pop goes off. The flame which reacts with the HCl and Zinc from the test tube.
    fugly1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
    Zn(s) + HCl (aq)----> ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fugly1234 View Post
    Zn(s) + HCl (aq)----> ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g)

This is from March 2007 - please keep an eye on the dates when you answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Catatrosphy after using a Hydrochloric Acid based Drain cleaner [ 2 Answers ]

I used a H2SO4 commercial drain cleaner in my bath. The fumes from the cleaner reacted with residue of detergent on the surfaces of the bathtub to stain the surface to a rust color. Any solutions to clean the stain on this porcelain bathtub? Robemit

Acid Hydrolysis [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know everything about ACID HYDROLYSIS Would you please refer me a LINK which describe this method completely? I want to know how is it and what happened for proteins,polysaccharides and... in this process Actually I want to know what happen in below process and why we saw NH3 in it "...

Magnesium hydrogen carbonate + hydrochloric acid = ? [ 3 Answers ]

Magnesium hydrogen carbonate + hydrochloric acid =?? Please help if you know it Thanks:confused:

Folic acid [ 7 Answers ]

Is it safe for me to take folic acid and prenatal vitamins at the same time even though I hadn't had my period for 7 months? It been a week I have been taking it but I don't even know if I suppose to be experincing some symptons or not.. or is it safe?

View more questions Search