Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr_evans2u Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2004, 09:47 AM
    Squeaky stairs
    I have some stairs that squeak really badly, any suggestions on how to fix them?

Thanks
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Can you access below the stairs?
    If so, use a chop saw and cut some 90 degree pieces of wood and screw them in to the underside. Make sure you don't use screws that are too long...
    mr_evans2u Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Thank you harleyds
    That worked!
    djenka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2005, 10:37 PM
    @harleyds,
    I have the same problem but didn't understand your answer correctly.
    Since I can not get from under the stairs (painted ceiling done) what would be the option of fixing squeaky stairs from the top (I don't mind taking carpet off)?

Thank you!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2005, 08:28 AM
    With the carpet off, run 2'' drywall screws down through the tread into the stringers below. They hold much better than nails. Pull as many nails as you can after putting in the screws. They may continue to work up if you leave them. If there are separate boards, put some white glue or carpenters glue in the seams.
    djenka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2005, 07:58 PM
    @labman,
    Thanks, I'll try it.

All the best!

djenka
    HornetUK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2005, 04:06 PM
    Continuing your Question
    Just a quick question as I have the same problem,
    I have a move tread but no access to underneath the stairs :(
    You suggested passing a screw down into the stringer but how do u identify were the stringer is likely to be?

HornetUK
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Unless the steps are over 4' wide, there should be a stringer at each edge and one in the middle. The ones on the edge may be under a molding strip. You may also be able to see nail heads, or at least where the nails were countersunk and the hole filled. Shine a strong light parallel to the step and look for slight imperfections.
    HornetUK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 02:16 PM
    Thanks it worked atreat
    Thanks Labman,

Srry I never got back great advise it worked a treat problem sorted.

:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stairs in my dream [ 3 Answers ]

I dream about stairs almost every night. I dream that I am running down endless flights of stairs or falling down stairs. I am never going up these stairs, always down. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Where to find stairs? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find these stairs (link below). I live in Los Angeles. These stairs are cement with large pebbles on top. Currently they are cracked and need to be replaced. They are welded on. stairs THANKS, Joseph

Leaky Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

In my house the basement was originally a cellar. The owners before me extended the house over the stairs. When it rains ground water seaps in through my stairs(The stairs are the original concrete stairs). Any ideas on a quick fix?

Glass stairs [ 0 Answers ]

Please if anyone can help me in finding data about installation of glass stairs. I really need it

Concrete Stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in pouring concrete 'pyramid-like' stairs. I would prefer to do this one stair at a time. How long should I wait for the first stair to cure before I pour another? Thank You

View more questions Search